Mitre Guillotine/Trimmer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calpol

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at buying one pretty much purely for 45deg joints, pic frames and the likes (me and me father are photographists) and I'm keen on opinions...

Axminster and Rutlands each do one, how different they are I don't know, was wondering if anybody has either and can point me in some direction as to which one to buy? I'm not after a floor stander, a bench-topper will do the jobby... The Axminster one is 2p cheaper though hahaha

Looking at them, they seem to be the exact same thing, just one says APTC on it and is white

I was interested in them too. I wondered if the blades are easily sharpened?

It says 'can easily be removed for resharpening'. Do you think they're hiding the fact that they're difficult to sharpen...? Still immensely handy even if it takes 2 days to resharpen

I have one I got from tilgear many years ago, pretty good for pic frames but other than that I don't use it. If I'm cutting miters its the table saw with a good blade and then fine tuned on a disc sander.
As for the blades they need to be kept sharp to get good results and the best way to do that is on the tormek.

There is a jig you can buy for repeatable lenghts but again I prefer the tablesaw as it will cut through a solid piece of wood whereas with the trimmer you really need it cut roughtly to lenght first then light cuts to bring it down to the finished size.

hope this helps

Ian

I think the blades are only held in place with a number of screws, so there isn't any critical adjustment or setting that has to be made. I agree with the point on the importance of sharpening, which can be done by hand on an ordinary bench stone. I'd recommend you wear gloves though, just in case! :shock: :)

I have the axminster one which is excellent(had it a month or two bought from them on ebay ) ,im using it on extremely hard exotic timbers and it works great. Havent needed to sharpen it yet,but i suspect a tormek is required or send them off to get them sharpened like planer blades.(although it doesnt need to be ground as accurately as a planer blade,no real need for a straight edge,so hand sharpening would be possible as long as the edge hasnt chipped)
Ive been using it on moulding 1/2" sq and box sides of around 70mm x 10mm.It seems very accurate and looks easily adjusted if it wasnt.
There a well made Wadkin one on ebay right now which would be a bargain at that price,the blades may need some work though.
ebay link

I've got an Axminster one which I use regularly for picture framing, it's in the old blue APTC livery - about 15 years old. Never been sharpened, still cuts well, though the accuracy leaves a lot to be desired, obviously the 45 degrees is up to how you set it, but the blades don't cut 'vertical' and have to be packed out with shims, but that's ok too.....compared to the price of an Orteguil I'm happy.

Chris.

for much of my fine mitring that I do, I use an old nobex pro that my Dad gave to me, really really good. Accuracy is superb, I just make sure that it is screwed down to the bench. Axminster sell the Nobex champion (p.395 in the catalogue.) for £100, Mine has had years of use and I've only changed the blade a few times.And if you use the stops you are guaranteed lengh accuracy every time.

Highly recommended.

Decklan

Latest posts

Back