Mini Cordless Chainsaw...any good?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Out of curiosity Andy. are you already on a battery platform? Just thinking there are other choices than Titan.
Having said that the Titan might be suitable for your needs.
The only battery tools I have are a Dewalt drill/driver combo, I have briefly looked at the Dewalt saws, they're way too pricy for my needs. (y)

For clearing up the occasional tree an good felling axe and a 90 cm bow saw with two hand grip provides the best efficiency for the money if there isn't enough work to justify a proper petrol chainsaw from Shihl or Husqvarna.
Just my oppinion based on heating the house with wood and owning 4 hectares of woodland.

I bought the £50 corded titan one and it did the job. But only just. I threw it in the skip after a week, still saved me money over paying for a tree guy.
If I did it again I wouldn't get Titan.

The only battery tools I have are a Dewalt drill/driver combo, I have briefly looked at the Dewalt saws, they're way too pricy for my needs. (y)
Recip saw with the aggressive wood blade have same method and cuts pretty quickly and easily.
Just remember to take a wedge cut out of side that pressure on before cutting through that way don't trap blade plus not stripping bark/splitting tree.
If was going Rambo would Get husky 372 or STIHL 044

Also investigate battery adapters. I've now got adapters to use my DeWalt 18v batteries on both my Worx and Ryobi tools.
In my experience, third party DeWalt batteries are better (and more available) than those for other brands.
A long way round to say that my little Worx saw works brilliantly although I can see that it would be too easy to misuse it and suffer the same fate as the professional tree geezer mentioned above.

I cannot fault my Lidl Florabest mains electric chainsaw, obviously only for garden use but Ive not found a tree yet that it cannot cope with,,,a world away from the 1970s Black and Decker that seemed to be so slow,,
I use cheap chains from ebay and sharpen with a Dremel,,works well for me.
Steve.
I got one of those, but threw it out after breaking the chain tension adjuster twice. (And I'm definitely not heavy handed) Pity-- it was a good saw otherwise.
Cordless-- I got a Ferrex (Aldi) whis is just magic for small jobs. It got through a 40cm oak log in 5mins successfully., Though I wouldn't be doing that full time- just testing it.
I already have the Aldi\ Ferrex platform, so it was easy enough to decide.

Back to the corded -- I replaced the lidl one with an Oredon 1500 wt which is an absolute beast.. I've done away with the self sharpening system-- it is badly designed, allowing for accidental unintended sharpening-- very short chain life (design intension?) I can use any chain now.
Advantage of electric is no petrol/ fumes, no noise and extremely safe-- for my models at least.

I do a fair amount of in shed sawing and splitting, with kids around ,so electric is the way to go.

Great discussion.

We have the Makita 36 volt LXT and 40 volt XGT models on demo at the moment and they are both very good.

The 40 volt is roughly equivalent to a 35 cc petrol saw, is plenty powerful enough for felling small trees and has a .325 chain so can be used with a felling lever. Battery life is pretty good.

The 36 volt is lighter but the batteries don’t last anywhere near as long when pushed hard. I’ve felled lots of small elderberry sized trees and shrubby stuff with it and it copes okay but I’d say it’s more for pruning really. It only has a 3/8 picco chain so a pain if you need to push something over with a felling lever.

I was pretty sceptical about battery saws but have been pleasantly surprised after using them for a while. I think we’ll buy a 36 volt model as we have lots of batteries already and a few decent petrol felling saws to use on the bigger stuff.

As others have said above the handiness and lightness of the battery saws does seem to encourage a more casual approach to operator safety.

We have the Makita 36 volt LXT and 40 volt XGT models on demo at the moment and they are both very good.

The 40 volt is roughly equivalent to a 35 cc petrol saw, is plenty powerful enough for felling small trees and has a .325 chain so can be used with a felling lever. Battery life is pretty good.

The 36 volt is lighter but the batteries don’t last anywhere near as long when pushed hard. I’ve felled lots of small elderberry sized trees and shrubby stuff with it and it copes okay but I’d say it’s more for pruning really. It only has a 3/8 picco chain so a pain if you need to push something over with a felling lever.

I was pretty sceptical about battery saws but have been pleasantly surprised after using them for a while. I think we’ll buy a 36 volt model as we have lots of batteries already and a few decent petrol felling saws to use on the bigger stuff.

As others have said above the handiness and lightness of the battery saws does seem to encourage a more casual approach to operator safety.
Is the 325 0.58 or 0.50 0.50 is thinner gauge along with bar so easier to drive

For clearing up the occasional tree an good felling axe and a 90 cm bow saw with two hand grip provides the best efficiency for the money

I still have a Silky Gomtaro 330 on my belt or in the cage when I’m working as it’s a go to for removing small stuff that’s in the way of the saw or can just be done with a bit of effort rather than break out the chainsaw.

Back