Titan 2000w 40cm chainsaw. Anyone used one?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one of these and my neighbour does to great saw and you can sharpen on the saw as it has a stone built int to saw
https://www.screwfix.com/p/oregon-c...self-sharpening-chainsaw/6285k?ref=SFAppShare
Oregon also make chains in the stay sharp range for petrol chainsaws, been using one on my Stihl saw for a few years now, so easy, attach stone to end of bar, start saw and push against a hard surface, 5 seconds all teeth sharpened, for a DIY'r its perfect: https://www.amazon.co.uk/OREGON-542...9D9RJY/ref=asc_df_B0049D9RJY/?tag=googshopuk-

I've got the titan electric as linked in the OP, paid £35 about 2 years ago, it does the job fine, no complaints, I don't use it to cut down trees or anything, just to trim off reasonably thick branches and cut them up for green waste, 75mm and under diameter sort of size.

I've never used a petrol chainsaw however so couldn't compare.

Last edited:
My impression of corded eclectic chainsaws was always that they were quite dull and boring compared to a petrol engine. I think that is partly due to the chain speed of many are 9 - 14m/sec range. Many of my Stihl's run at 20-24m/sec chain speed and seem much more powerful even though the kW output is similar to that of the eclectic models. I think alot of the new battery powered models with the brushless DC motors on the 36V Stihl platform run at 20-30m/sec so seem a much closer experience to the 'real thing'.

I have the Makita 36v chainsaw and this Titan. I bought the Titan first. It's a basic chainsaw - I now always use the Makita because a) it's much better and b) it's cordless, but if looking for a basic no-frills chainsaw to cut up wood then the Titan is a good choice. Mine sits out in a damp barn and starts without fuss if I try using it once or twice a year.

I bought a Titan yesterday, it's still in the box at the moment.

I could do to upgrade my bandsaw, although I'm putting it off for the time being and hoping the Titan will do for now.

I cant comment on the saw itself as I have only ever had petrol saws so my comment is on sharpening. For many years I cut all my own firewood so have sharpened a lot of chains. I found the power sharpeners do a good job but take too much metal off so the chain does not last long. File by hand is the way to go and does not take long when you get used to it. Little and often like anything else that has to be kept sharp I found it easiest to take the chain off and do it in a vice with the angles marked on top of the vice as a guide. I was cutting a whole pickup load at a time so always went with 2 or 3 spare sharp chains. No faffing about sharpening out in the woods but did all the chains in one session back at the shed. Saw got a good clean and got ready for next time.
Regards
John

I had a Titan for several years, & had good service from it. Mine came with an Oregon guide, & when the blade needed sharpening I replaced it with an Oregon one. Used mainly for firewood cutting & I felled a couple of birches for a neighbour. When my open fire was pulled out by the Housing Ass(oc.) I sold it with no trouble.

Don't forget to factor in the cost of PPE!

I don't know much about it but I assume the helmets have metal visors for a reason. There's also the special trousers that clog it up if you start cutting through one of your legs.

Don't forget to factor in the cost of PPE!

I don't know much about it but I assume the helmets have metal visors for a reason. There's also the special trousers that clog it up if you start cutting through one of your legs.

I got the PPE just after getting a petrol chainsaw. I don't think my other half was too pleased at me spending yet more money, but I'd rather have a flea in my ear than chop my legs off ;)

Back