Mekkemikkel's new workshop WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another update from Norway;

The bench tops, made of two layers of 19mm MDF, are now glued and screwed together. 260 screws!

DSC_0299.JPG

Then I made the SCMS-table with dust extraction and blast gate, just like the one in the downdraft box.

DSC_0306.JPG

The top to the right of the SCMS, got 156 holes in the downdraft area. 156 10mm holes give about the same area as the 125mm pipe, so I thought that would be ideal to keep the airflow to a maximum.

DSC_0308.JPG

And then I applied the first coat of oil on both sides of the tops.

DSC_0307.JPG

DSC_0310.JPG

DSC_0311.JPG

This is very quickly turning into a workbench of dreams, Mekkemikkel!

Nicely executed this far, i'm following this thread very closely and taking notes :-D

Thanks Henning!

I'm going in to bit of a delay now... I'm planning birch aprons, and to make those I need my new PT.
Axminster tells me now that it probably won't be delivered to me until late January! :cry:

I'd be interested to know how well the dust extraction for the scms works.
I'm not that impressed with my extraction (on the DW707) but it's still better than nowt.

Mekkemikkel":25ef4uug said:
Thanks Henning!

I'm going in to bit of a delay now... I'm planning birch aprons, and to make those I need my new PT.
Axminster tells me now that it probably won't be delivered to me until late January! :cry:

ouch! Bad luck, mate! I have an Axminster order to pick up tomorrow :-D
But that was probably not what you needed to hear maybe?

Hope it arrives quickly!

jlawrence":2uhio8hf said:
I'd be interested to know how well the dust extraction for the scms works.
I'm not that impressed with my extraction (on the DW707) but it's still better than nowt.

Me too! :)

The black plastic thing on mine don't do anything impressing either, so I'm thinking about removing it, and just let the dust fly against the wall and in to the airflow.

Maybe I'll build some kind of box around the back of the scms... :?

And to Henning: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :wink:

Mekkemikkel":1nua8azj said:
And to Henning: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :wink:

What? Me? :duno: (Ah, where's the innocent angel smilie when you need it? ;-) )

I haven't come across a SCMS with good dust extraction yet. Seen some of the 'Muricans use a sort of large box with integrated extraction, though, which seems sensible.
I have double extraction on my Makita flipsaw (Regular and below table), and it still throws dust around.

I've been slow with the updates, time is flying before the big holiday!

I decided to try tidying up a bit, waiting for my new PT, and REALLY tired working with all the mess in the shop.

So, to get the mess away from the floor, I need shelves... and to have shelves I need a wall to put them on...

DSC_0321.JPG

DSC_0375.JPG

With the wall in place, I finally got the permanent electrical installation finished.

DSC_0393.JPG

And then a simple storage solution replacing my wheeled sheet-rack, which saved me a lot of floor and wall space!

DSC_0394.JPG

I'm starting to see some of my floor now!!

DSC_0398.JPG

I have started building the wood-rack, but it will not be finished this year - I think.

DSC_03992.JPG

Happy new year! :)

Just a quick update on the progress in my shop from 28.10.2009:

DSC00525.JPG

to 02.01.2010:

DSC_0490.jpg

DSC_0492.jpg

A couple more days tidying the place, and then I can actually begin to make something in there! :D

It's really starting to look excellent!

WHAT a place it will be!

Nice to see you've gotten the woodrack finished too. I have a feeling that might have helped clear a little floorspace :)

Hi Mekkemikkel
As we here in the UK are suffering ! with a couple of inches of snow in places I was wondering what your location looks like at this time of year.

The pics from your windows are stunning so can be cheeky and ask on behalf of the other members on here what it looks like at this time of year

Thanks

How ironic that you should make that comment Adam......I'm snowed in this morning............In Chester :lol:

We're doomed when we get anything more than in inch of snow.

Mekkemikkel,

Your shop is fantastic, I'm watching this one with great interest :wink: I love the built in extraction on the bench.

Cheers

Jed

Mekkemikkel":wjwron6q said:
Well.. here is some shots of the shop entrance and my view about 5 minutes ago.. :)

DSC_0493.JPG

DSC_0495.JPG

DSC_0498.JPG

Thanks for the pics, as Riley said in his post an inch of snow knackers britain

Hello everybody!

It is time to wake up from hibernation and show what I've done in the «den» since Christmas.

The project with the bench halted due to delivery problems with my new toy. But after a few weeks wait it finally arrived:

DSC_0701.JPG

DSC_0711.JPG

DSC_0712.JPG

First thing I put through the JET was som birch for the aprons around the MDF top.

DSC_0715.JPG

First attempt at hand made dovetails on the apron corners.

DSC_0718.JPG

DSC_0722.JPG

And then I made some simple doors for the cupboards. Painted MDF frames with ply panels.

DSC_0807.JPG

DSC_0810.JPG

Next up I fixed an Health and safety issue by making an crown guard for my table saw

DSC_1441.JPG

DSC_1445.JPG

DSC_1446.JPG

DSC_1449.JPG

The latest thing I've been working on is the dust collection. This week I could finally move the dust collector down to the garage. I bulit a very temporary drop-box, and am thinking about building a cyclone at some time in the future...

DSC_1455.JPG

DSC_1456.JPG

DSC_1533.JPG

DSC_1534.JPG

DSC_1535.JPG

DSC_1536.JPG

Back