Mekkemikkel's new workshop WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mekkemikkel,

I don't often call my wife over to look at a workshop but I thought she might like the views from yours. She did... and said she wants to go and live in it but I said 'No' because I would miss her and get lonely.

(Well, it's really because she tells me off for NOT buying machines so I think she's worth keeping)

Brendan

A nice place you've got there, Mikkel.
If I read correctly you have a sink there, and I'm wondering why the sharpening station is not close to it. At least if you hone on waterstones that makes sense.
I posted a similar question some time ago and got two very useful pieces of advice: 1) place the machine producing most shavings closest to the dust collector, 2) think work-flow. I work almost exclusively with solid wood so my flow for stock preparation is SCMS-bandsaw-planer-thicknesser, so I want those three machines close together, and close to the wood storage. I see you have sheet goods storage in there, so probably your needs are different.

A grinder close to the lathe makes very good sense.

IMO the sharpening station is fine where it is right in front of the window so you can look at the view whilst you feed tools in and out of the Worksharp which is best kept as far away from water as possible anyway. :D :D :D

If you put the router table on wheels and make it the same height as the assembly table it'll be useful if you need to route long items and could also act as an extra outfeed table for the TS when handling wide panels. Having the router in the corner will probably be a bit restrictive.
The same is probably also the case with the bandsaw (although I don't have one myself so I'm not really qualified to comment). More space on either side is probably a good idea if you're going to be doing any resawing.
How about permanently placing the router table on wheels at the end of the assembly table and then scrapping the MDF/ply cart and spreading the planer, thicknesser and bandsaw along that wall ? You'd then achieve the work-flow arrangement Geir was looking for and I'm sure there's space in the loft for ply and MDF :wink:
And I think I'd swap the lathe and the Worksharp station so you get most natural light over the lathe.

Mark

I think you need a bandsaw table higher than normal working surfaces you need to eyeball the blade more with a bandsaw.

Wow thats a gorgeous work space! :D

1st The downstair extractor idea is going to pull all your heat out the shop unless you exhaust it back into the workshop. And worse it'll pull cold air into the shop. The exhaust is going to have to be well filtered air.
2nd What about a wood burner, otherwise heatings going to cost.. :(
3rd I would defiantly try fit a tiny toilet cube in there. Running back and forth to the house can be a real pain, when it's really cold.
4th Your setup looks good for starters. Once you've done a few projects you'll probably find out what works for you.

Andy, I agree Hardanger is a beautiful place! I'm actually living a bit further north, but the fjords are almost the same.

Boz, I've been wondering if I'm ever going to miss an end vise on this bench, or if the front vise and a few Wonder Dogs will do?

Henning, in my head the router table and the planer beds are level, and the thicknesser is actually so low that it's going under the tables. Not sure if that works in real life though...

Brendan, I'm sure many of us envy you – for having such a wife, but I'm afraid the room is already booked! My dad wants it as his retirement home! At least he has his own key to the shop so he can play with my toys whenever he wants. I've learned a lot borrowing his tools in my childhood, and now it's his turn to borrow mine!

Geir, I've planned a sink with the entrance, but I'm afraid the use for that will be mainly cleaning flower pots and corresponding items. Have to take account for some of my lovely wife's needs too!
The dust collector will stand in the corner under the entrance, so the shortest runs will be to the PT and TS.

Mark, I don't want to have the router table in conjunction with the tablesaw, because I don't want have to remove the router fence and lower the bit to use the tablesaw. However - I think it's a good idea to build the router table and assembly table at same height for use as an outfeed table.
Doing something with the sheet-storage will save me a lot of wallspace, and I think I will turn it around and store the sheets standing on the short edge. Moving large and heavy MDFs to the loft will be a much too dangerous sport for me, and I think I'll only keep storing and drying real wood up there.

T%C3%B8mmerlager.jpg

Alex, I've been thinking about the extractor and plan to lead the exhaust through filters up to the shop. Maybe leading it all the way up to the loft and use it to circulate the air around the fresh wood to get rid of the moist.
A wood burner would be nice, but the installation costs will be so high that it will take many years to defend it in relation to electricity.

Thank you all for the feedbacks, and here is a new layout based on new ideas from you guys!

Verkstedinnredning%20Versjon%203.1%20engelsk.jpg

Mekkemikkel":t23wz07b said:
Boz, I've been wondering if I'm ever going to miss an end vise on this bench, or if the front vise and a few Wonder Dogs will do?
Mid-build, I'm getting on with a Wonder Dog really well and don't miss an end vice at all.

It may be because I can, but I still find myself standing at the front vice end of the bench, looking along the bench, to do some work. Like drilling into the end of legs or long stringers? I suppose it comes down to a compromise between bench length and area against access. It depends what suits your style of work.

Like the loft space!

Boz

Looking very good now, Mekkemikkel!

And i have to say... What fantastic woods in storage :shock: :D

Anything special planned with it?

Looks like a better layout now - go for it !!

With the router table on wheels and built to the same height as the TS and assembly table then you can wheel it across to the TS and use it as an extra outfeed table if necessary with whole sheets.

Alex - why would he need a toilet when he's got 2 sinks ? :D :D

Mekkemikkel great workshop and I am sure you will get some fantastic inspiration with those brilliant views.

Your a very lucky man :wink:

Cheers

Mike

Henning":2f2gpkut said:
Looking very good now, Mekkemikkel!

And i have to say... What fantastic woods in storage :shock: :D

Anything special planned with it?

No plan for the wood yet, but I'm grabbing every nice tree that I can get may hands and chainsaw in.. :D

Maybe birch aprons for the bench, though, but must invest in a good and cheap PT first.... :?

Krysstel":2lb4526c said:
Alex - why would he need a toilet when he's got 2 sinks ? :D :D
Mark!!! Did you have to tell the rest of the world about our cheap toilet habits? :shock:

Krysstel":2lb4526c said:
No.
I don't ! :cry:

Mark
Don't cry! You can always run from the big city and spend your summer holyday up her with the fjords you know!

:lol:

Just a quick update to night.

Saturday I eventually could get started on my bench! :lol:

Spent the day make all the 2x4" parts for the legs, so they are ready for assembly with the ply.

DSC_0020.JPG

DSC_0026.JPG

What are those I see lerking on the window sill ?
Hand planes :shock:
Be careful now :D

Mark

Ohhh, yes, be very careful with hand planes. They are dangerously addictive. It's very easy to become used to no noise and no dust, and then go out and buy another, and another. You start with Stanleys, but once they're tuned and you're hooked, you want something stronger. Believe me, it won't end until you've got Lie-Nielsens #'s 1 to 8, +++.

Another solution he could use to avoid addiction is to just stop using the ones on the window sill :D

Mark

I'm really afraid that i'll be addicted when I can use my cheapie planes on a bench thats not jumping over the floor while I'm trying to beat them thru pine.... :D

After a coat of blue, it's finally beginning to look like something permanent in my shop!

Started the assembly by cutting all the ply sides for the legs.

DSC_0028.JPG

And then I made a «jig» on my old bench for getting all the legs exactly the same. Fitted the ply with Titebond and some screws.

DSC_0029.JPG

DSC_00311.JPG

Then just started in a corner tonight, and this i so far i came:

DSC_0037.JPG

Latest posts

Back