Mekkemikkel's new workshop WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking god 8)
And nice to see "my" design in another colour :wink:
How did you attach the front and back top rails, it's difficult to see in the pictures.
And how's the vise mounted ?
Are you planning drawers under the vise and cupboard doors on the rest (like mine :) ) ?

Mark

Henning":3jwwt77x said:
Looking very good, Mekkemikkel!

Nice blue as well :-D

Somebody not knowing me might from the look of our house, cars and the bench belive that blue is one of my favorites..... :wink:

Bench is coming along nicely. How about some more gratuitous shots of the view from the workshop window, please?

Cheers

Andy

Krysstel":2px0rxj5 said:
Looking god 8)
And nice to see "my" design in another colour :wink:
How did you attach the front and back top rails, it's difficult to see in the pictures.
And how's the vise mounted ?
Are you planning drawers under the vise and cupboard doors on the rest (like mine :) ) ?

Mark

I did the front top rail the easy way, and drilled some pocket holes in each end.

DSC_0039.JPG

The back rail is just screwed through the ply and into the legs with 6x120mm woodscrews.

DSC_0040.JPG

And the vise will be bolted in a 2*6 which I screwed on to the bench with 6*160mm screws. The front vise bolts will come through the front 2*2 rail.

DSC_0052.JPG

dedee":naovb6dr said:
Bench is coming along nicely. How about some more gratuitous shots of the view from the workshop window, please?

Cheers

Andy

Oh... you know i don't like to brag about it! :oops:

.... or.... yes.... I love to!!! :lol:

DSC_0017.JPG

DSC_8569.JPG

And this is the view from our livingroom this summer: 8)

DSC_9373.JPG

And then an update on the bench;

I have to get the pipes for dust collection in place before the construction gets too rigid.

Spent some time building a simple floor sweeper and started the piping. Have to wait for some more pipes which I ordered, and the adjustable feets from Axminster.

DSC_0047.JPG

DSC_0046.JPG

DSC_0048.JPG

DSC_0053.JPG

Love that floor sweep ! Is the front hinged ?
What's the pipe sticking through the front rail for :? ?

And all right, the view from the living rom window's not bad either :shock: :evil: :lol:

Mark

Mark, yes the front is "hinged" with a screw in each side:

Floorsweep%20hinge.jpg

And the pipe through the front rail is for connecting the hose from power tools.... :wink:

i better not show that view from the living room to the LOML... :shock:
That would probably see me out moving before short.

Nice work, Mekkemikkel! Ingenious solution to dust on the floor. I like it very much!

And all coming along very nicely. Not the least bit jealous. Not at all... :roll: :oops:

Yep, that floor sweep is a new one on me. Nice idea. We don't often see painted benches around here but I like the idea/

As for the view, I will have to console myself that the weather is not always like that.

Cheers

Andy

dedee":gfirgmd7 said:

As for the view, I will have to console myself that the weather is not always like that.

Cheers
Andy

I'm afraid you're right about that... this is the actual view from this Saturday:

DSC_0136.JPG

Well, back to the bench. Finished the assembly of all the legs to the left for the SCMS, and fitted the vise, adjustable levellers for Axminster, and some more drawer runners.

Also added two electrical outlets on the front rail, to avoid having cords for power tools across the bench top.

DSC_0137.JPG

DSC_0139.JPG

Coming along very nicely!
Nice touch on the electrical outlets as well. I'm taking notes here :-D

Looking good E.
You may want to look closely at how you make the top drawer under the vise. I didn't and the vise handle is a real nuisance and gets in the way every time I want to open the drawer :x
Good idea with the electrical sockets but with the danger of dust ingress I wonder if it would be better if you used the ones with flaps ?
Did you find the screws supplied with the Axminster feet to be ridiculously small ? I dumped them and used my own much bigger ones.

Mark

And then it's time for an update of the last weeks effort in the shop:

I'm done constructing the leg-assembly :D

DSC_0158.JPG

The internal "box" for the downdraft table is in place

DSC_0150.JPG

with a homemade blastgate

DSC_0152.JPG

DSC_0153.JPG

an outlet for compressed air

DSC_0154.JPG

and power and hose connection for the sander:

DSC_0157.JPG

And with the first sheet of MDF cut into shape, I can see the beginning of an new era in my shop! :D :D

DSC_0159.JPG

Very nice! I especially like all the extra's like airoutlet etc.

Great work!

What are the levelling feet like ??
We spend ages (and reasonable amounts of money) ensuring that the frames we make are solid and with as little movement as possible, it seems wrong to them put small adjustable feet on the legs.

I think the view from the window is fantastic - regardless of the weather.

I like the idea of the downdraft table bit - how are you generating the actual downdraft ?

I find the feets from Axminster very sturdy, and they are rated to hold 270kg each. I've got 22 of those....

http://www.axminster.co.uk/sessionID/QG ... 362777.htm

I was wondering about how to screw them to the legs to stop any vertical movement, but when the levellers arrived I could see the little angle on the steel going under the leg. It shows on this photo:

100218_xl.jpg

I don't see any other way being able to adjust the legs later, if the floor should sag when I load it up with cast iron.. :wink:

Downdraft, I just have to get someone to suck at the other end of the pipe....

...or connect it to the dust extractor in the garage... :D

Latest posts

Back