Makita DMR106 vs Dewalt Tough System radio

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kris the Handyman

Established Member
Reaction score
As stated in the title. I am torn between these 2 and can't decide which one to go for.
I'm on a Makita platform so the Makita radio would seem to be the way to go BUT I am getting a Dewalt finishing nailer very soon and a 5ah battery so the Dewalt Tough System radio could be power of that one too (and charge it). I am leaning slightly towards the Dewalt just because I could run it off the Dewalt battery and keep the Makita ones for my tools. The sounded is also nicer on the Dewalt due to bigger power/more speakers but I haven't heard any of those 2 live so can't really compare. If the Makita could also charge the batteries then I would go for it but since it doesn't then I still need to carry the charger so might as well get the Dewalt.
Any thoughts lads?

My first thoughts are radios on building sites or in someone's else's domestic property are a definite no no if that is where you are going to use them, there is enough noise in our environment without polluting the atmosphere with a noise that no one is listening too or can hear, and then there is the Health and Safety issue of this extraneous noise preventing someone from hearing a shouted warning or emergency klaxon, but if you are going to use this in your own workshop where you work alone, then its only you that is at risk, the Darwin principle may prevail.

Mike

I think I can cope listening to radio 4 chat on a volume same as someone next to me talking quite well. In fact I have done for over 30 years, both on site and in my home workshop.
If the sound level is a health and safety issue, you need to ban talking full stop on site, as the volume is the same.
It doesn't affect concentration as I drift in and out of listening to it, same as talking to someone then not.
I bet you indicate EVERY time when driving, don't you! Instead of analysing the junction and seeing if there's an actual need to indicate.
Darwin indeed. It's a bloody radio, not a machine gun

I used to work on building sites, big radios were my number one hate.

I found that I always had to work next to the radio, but the owner was 300 yards away and had it loud enough for himself to sing along with. i finally snapped when working inside a new supermarket building. When they are empty, those stores are huge and echo like crazy. I was 3 foot from this radio and being deafened, and there was no one else in sight. i turned it off and a very faint voice yelled out. i couldnt even see the bloke!.
He told me to turn it back on. i told him (quite politely) to tape it to his shoulders and blow out his own eardrums and not mine.
The next hour I was there was blissfully quiet.

I have the Makita DAB and wouldn't be without it. Decent sound, rugged enough and even gets dragged out for use on the patio in the summer months.

Runs well over a day with a Bosch 18v 2.3ah battery installed.

I know understand when is it suitable for the radio to be on and when not and how loud. Believe me I love my peace. I drive an electric van without any radio on, it's dead quiet in there and I love it.
I don't think I have to justify my reasons for using a radio to anyone but just to clear the atmosphere that Mike brought into this discussion - I don't work on building sites and the radio will be used in my workshop, at the properties where I am working alone and the job will take half a day or longer and when renovating our house and working on the car. It doesn't have to be full on and won't be but I like the richness of sound. I have an old school vinyl record player plugged in to the sound system and I love what comes out of those speakers. There is nothing better than listening to some old vinyls with a mug of coffee on a rainy Sunday morning.

Please don't confuse audiophiles with sound blasters.

And now back to the topic: has anyone used any of the mentioned sound systems?

Kris, welcome to the forum - and you're absolutely right, you don't have to justify your listening habits to anyone. I'm not a radio fan so can't help with your question (phone and bluetooth speaker for me) and not to hijack the thread but...

Kris the Handyman":124vevfi said:
...I drive an electric van without any radio on, it's dead quiet in there and I love it...

Can I ask which electric van you have? I'm seriously considering a Nissan NV200E and am curious about their real-world usage. Feel free to PM me if you prefer to keep the thread on-topic (you may need to make a few more posts before you can PM) or perhaps start a thread about your EV experience in General Chat?

Thanks, and welcome again.

Peter

Kris the Handyman":1nxizo40 said:
And now back to the topic: has anyone used any of the mentioned sound systems?
Yes.

Wuffles":1nxizo40 said:
I have the Makita DAB and wouldn't be without it. Decent sound, rugged enough and even gets dragged out for use on the patio in the summer months.

Runs well over a day with a Bosch 18v 2.3ah battery installed.

Could not agree more, no one has to justify their listening habits to anyone else, unless those habits effect others, please re-read the first line of my post.

Mike

Peter - yes, env200. I will post another thread later on and give my impressions on it but to sum it up: I love it!

Wuffles: sorry, didn't see your post before I posted mine

Mike - no worries. I just don't like when some (not saying it's you) assume things about other people without knowing them. I always try to stay open.

Everyone: Sorry I didn't say Hi, I've lost track on which forum I am a member and on which I only browse :)

Latest posts

Back