Making bookends...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doris

Oppressed Slave of Gary The Cat
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm more of a wood Carver than a wood worker and would like to mount some of my carvings to bookends.

I was wondering what ways could I make the bookends? I know I can dovetail them for extra strength but I am making an awful lot of them so would like to make them with a little less effort.

Could I get away with mitiring the two pieces together instead? Most of these will be painted so the joints don't have to be a feature.

Thank you in advance.

Am guessing, box joints using a table saw jig for them. Strength and speed.

I'd wait till someone more knowledgeable than me comes along!

Hi Doris
Butt joint pinned and glued should be fine provided the joining bits are planed square. Try one to see if it works and post a picture if it comes out to your satisfaction :D .
Regards Keith

But joints, finger joints all work but you have to be accurate, Usually means jigs machines it goes without saying tools have to be sharp to be accurate so why not try dovetails. Follow the steps there are Utube videos and here's a little secret. Every time you do them you get better and each time you get better you want to do more.

Back