Mahogany linen press finishing help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luke2443

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi. I was wondering if i could ask for some help and advice on finishing a Mahogany linen press.
My parents bungalow, where I was living was involved in a very serious house fire where the roof caught fire and collapsed on the contents of our home damaging the vast majority of contents within. My brother had a Mahogany linen press which was badly damaged. Most of the damage was visual. The finish was tarnished after bad water damage and the beautiful vaneer on the front has bubbled in a few places. The top was damaged from falling blocks but ive glued it back ok.
I have had to completely sand the whole piece down being very careful not to burn through the veneer. It has come back better than id ever hoped for. The mahogony is absolutely amazing colour and Im reluctant to stain it as I like it the way it is. (i.e natural) Of course, as it is an antique I want it to look original as well as keeping the true mahogony grain showing. Please could anyone give me some advice on what would be my best options? I was thinking of oiling the wood to bring out the natural color and then french polishing it but everywhere I read about sealing it/ staining it/ sealing it/ lacquering it etc and if that is best, I havent done that before and would apreciate any advice.

I will endavour to post a picture but the one I took on my phone wasnt very clear.

Thanks

Luke

Hi Luke, I have many years experience in restoring fire damaged antiques and I am willing to advise you about how to resurrect your linen press but as it is such a large subject I will need at least one photo so that I can guide you in the right direction.

Regards.

mrpercysnodgrass.

Thank you, your help would be very much apreciated. Ill take a few photos and upload them on here. I am away until Sunday working which will cause a slight delay but will get them up as soon as I can :)

Thanks again.

Luke

Back