Help required re finishing a jewellery box please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm based in the UK and would very much appreciate advice on the most suitable method of achieving a satin or gloss finish to this box - it's made of mahogany (an old Victorian bed frame) and sycamore - I haven't done French polishing before or would a spray lacquer be more suitable? - PS this is my first attempt so an element of sympathy would be appreciated!
IMG_2453.jpg

I'm based in the UK and would very much appreciate advice on the most suitable method of achieving a satin or gloss finish to this box - it's made of mahogany (an old Victorian bed frame) and sycamore - I haven't done French polishing before or would a spray lacquer be more suitable? - PS this is my first attempt so an element of sympathy would be appreciated! View attachment 165015
thats a lovely box, well done! It depends on what you want to achieve: lacquer is glossy and film forming whereas oils are more sublte and have an impregnating result..i would use a few coats of oil highlight the grain of the wood and leave it like this. Shellac is also easy but time consuming: you need to apply many coats and maybe sand between coats..the easiest solution is using a ready made oil mixture like tung oil etc.and follow the instructions.
Cheers, mike
P.S. if you are interested in french polish this is a nice article:
https://www.lmii.com/blog/2017/10/07/french-polish-finish/

That’s a nicely done piece.

Gloss finishes on this kind of thing are rather brash in my view and sprayed lacquer is gloopy and the domain of mass produced trinket boxes from the Far East.

With sycamore and mahogany just sanding sealer and wax can give you a durable and fast finish you can adjust to where you want the gloss level to be, it also stops the dark wood staining the light in the final finish sanding.

I really love this vice versa box. peacock oil looked nice when I saw it at Harrogate but its pricey.
I'm gonna go another way and say use water based varnish in satin. it will stop the sycamore from going yellow. just apply quickly and and avoid going over after about 5 secs. just my preference but try it to make sure it doesn't bleed.

Latest posts

Back