Made a Christmas Gift

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is my first real piece of woodworking (bar usual construction stuff). We had a chair (unsure of wood) and I took it apart, using the two front legs, I made these little tealight holders, finished with osmo wax

Made holes at the bottom to poke the lights out when stuck. I struggled using the bandsaw making the lines and making the down hole, think they turned out quite nice!

Took about 15 hours to make (have aspergers and am a little slow)

Attachments

• PXL_20240106_183423960.jpg
    PXL_20240106_183423960.jpg
    7.7 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240106_183502994.jpg
    PXL_20240106_183502994.jpg
  • PXL_20240106_183524553.jpg
    PXL_20240106_183524553.jpg
    8.2 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240106_183413249.jpg
    PXL_20240106_183413249.jpg
Hi everyone, this is my first real piece of woodworking (bar usual construction stuff). We had a chair (unsure of wood) and I took it apart, using the two front legs, I made these little tealight holders, finished with osmo wax

Made holes at the bottom to poke the lights out when stuck. I struggled using the bandsaw making the lines and making the down hole, think they turned out quite nice!

Took about 15 hours to make (have aspergers and am a little slow)
Lovely job. You mentioned that you were unsure of what the wood is. I think it is beech from the small size of the medullary rays

Lovely job. You mentioned that you were unsure of what the wood is. I think it is beech from the small size of the medullary rays
Thankyou Fred! You're right - it's Beech!

I've got a few slats of it (all varnished) to remove and will glue them together to create a new 'block', the family all want some now, it appears I need to make at least a dozen

Last edited:
Perhaps a depth stop will help for next time...
Hi Mark, yes you're right, I don't know how to use one yet, the bandsaw is an Elektra Beckum BAS 315, hopefully little steps will give the confidence in trying new projects, I'd love to make a huge bandsaw chest of drawers. The issue I have is hand micro motor movements is difficult to do (it's a side effect of the aspie), I need to find a way to overcome this limitation.

something like this:

Attachments

• band.jpg
    band.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 0
A simple way to create a stop is to firmly clamp a piece of wood to the table behind the blade. I imagine that will help if you have trouble with precision movements

If the depth you want to cut is less than the depth of the blade, cut a notch in your scrap, turn it around and place the back of the blade into the notch

Latest posts

Back