low temperature glue ups

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of gluing up some batches of turkey carving boards, hopefully in time for mid-late December!

As the temperature has dropped, I am well below the 20 degrees recommended temperature for pva (last lot was everbuild d4)- i would guess that it is about 12 degrees in an unheated workshop, a bit less overnight.

Is there an alternative glue that i could use in these temperatures that is water resistant end safe for indirect food contact? Alternatively, if i put a heater on, how long does it need to be on for- leaving it on overnight is not an option, but i could leave it on for an hour after finishing the task- this would be well beyond the open time for the bottle, and the recommended clamping time- but not beyond the “do not stress the joint for 24 hours” period. It would remain clamped for a couple of days or more though.

I am using 6’ sash cramps to glue up 3 boards at a time- bringing them in the house is not an option, and even the suggestion of doing the gluing indoors would likely have solicitors letters being exchanged! If I had finished doing the laminate flooring she might be a bit more approachable about it.

Would Cascamite be suitable- the boards shouldn’t be soaked for cleaning- merely wiped after use with a hot cloth. If it needs several days of clamping, I can live with that...

Hi,

I clamp up my joints and then bring them into the house in cold weather, if she moans tell her to shut up they won't be in for long.
Explain that all your hard work will be ruined in a cold shed, if she can't see that then you need to file for divorce.

My house is full of wood, planes etc my wife moans but understands I need to keep the wood at the humidity where it will end up, o/k some of the wood had been in the house for a couple of years, but one day soon...

Pete

in may job workshop it get very cold (big tall old building, tiled floors) .. we are using PVA all year round, we combat that & the issue with PVA & cold but moving the glued up pieces into a small corner or room where we have a oil filled radiator on a low setting, this is left on all the time, we also sort our glue near this area in winter.

Racers":2jcnoyjv said:
Hi,

I clamp up my joints and then bring them into the house in cold weather, if she moans tell her to shut up they won't be in for long.
Explain that all your hard work will be ruined in a cold shed, if she can't see that then you need to file for divorce.

My house is full of wood, planes etc my wife moans but understands I need to keep the wood at the humidity where it will end up, o/k some of the wood had been in the house for a couple of years, but one day soon...

Pete

Agree with Pete why run the risk, bring it in the house.

my problem with the permanent heater on a low setting is that the garage plugs into the house at the moment. i have plans to get a permanent connection put in, but it is not a quick task to have done.

i may try and sneak the stuff inside, but it isnt lightweight- 2" thick oak and over a metre long plus the weight of clamps, with doorways to negotiate. it is now that i wish that i had some 2' odd sash clamps, and is one of the reasons why i would go for pipe clamps if i was buying again.

In the past I've overcome a similar problem by putting the glue up in a little tent made from old duvets or sleeping bags and heating it with an incandescent light-bulb sat in a metal biscuit tin.

This has worked surprisingly well, even for a 6 foot long 6" by 4" curved lamination glued with epoxy left to set overnight in the middle of winter.

So let's see, you have a choice of bringing some wood into the house, putting it out of the way under a bed or something, and taking it out a day later. Cost = nothing.

Or you could pay for the extra electricity and those better clamps you really need, and still risk your Xmas presents / income stream falling apart. Cost = extra on the electricity bill + replacement materials + time + clamps. And a draught somewhere where the extension lead leaves the house.

I think you and your other half need to talk to each other!

Latest posts

Back