"Oily Glue" - first impressions and tests

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike160304

Established Member
Reaction score
The brand that arrived is "Jue-Fish Welding Superglue High Strength Oily Glue" from Amazon Prime, 30g in a 50ml (?) bottle, a useful amount, £1.99, with a separate push-on, long, fine nozzle as an option for tiny work.

It handles differently from a low viscosity superglue, it has higher viscosity and I am able to apply a thin, visible line of glue straight from the bottle, without using the separate fine nozzle. Good start.

I did not try to achieve finger-held "instant" gluing because some first tests on bits of cardboard were not very encouraging.

See photos below.
01-IMG_2792r2000.JPG

02-IMG_2790r2000.JPG

03-IMG_2791r2000.JPG

04-IMG_2793r2000.JPG

I got two empty aluminium shandy cans and tried to glue them bottom-to-bottom, with glue on only one of the thin "ridges". I put 5 lolly sticks on one can using rubber bands, as a "guide cage", and applied a thin line of glue to the "ridge" on the other can and dropped it into the "cage" on the first can. I left it for half an hour and I could then pull the assembly out of the cage.

The resulting assembly is neat, the clear glue is inconspicuous and the bond feels strong, I have not broken it yet because I may want to run a similar test with 151 Fast Epoxy (2-part) and maybe Everbuild Lumberjack 5-Minute Polyurethane (1-part).

So my first impression of the Jue-Fish Oily Glue is "Hmmm, yes, interesting", and this little 30g sample bottle will go a long way on small jobs. So it now sits with my other glues and they say it lasts for 3 years in cool storage, though I doubt that! (I hardly ever use the thin traditional Superglues, but I might try them as a wood COATING.)

Further comments:

Re "I did not try to achieve finger-held "instant" gluing because some first tests on bits of cardboard were not very encouraging." . . . . yes, the "Oily Glue" seems quite slow.

Like older superglues, it has no "structural filling" potential. A blob of glue remains a liquid blob for a long time. And it may be slightly more controlled to apply, but it still "runs" easily, it does not hold still.

I have heard it said that the bond of "Oily Glue" is less brittle than that of older superglues, I don't know.

So for me, the "Oily Glue" is hardly a "breakthrough" but I'll probably use up the sample bottle on suitable small jobs.

Re "Using up the sample", yes, it has done a good job of gluing the knob back on a teapot lid, and mending a cheap one-hand-cranking torch from Temu (gluing plastic to plastic).

After only a week idle the Jue-Fish "main nozzle" was blocked when I removed the cap. I squeezed the bottle harder and there was a sudden rush of glue which wasted a lot of it and messed up the newspaper I had put down to protect the table.

I shall therefore have to be prepared to drill the nozzle out with e.g. a 2mm drill BEFORE I start squeezing the bottle, but of course this happens with other types of glue as well, like my Everbuild Lumberjack 5-minute Polyurethane.

Yeah, a superglue that runs around is difficult, damaging, and very hard to remove, and tends to make me waste more glue than I use for purpose.

For these small jobs I think I would be happier with a Superglue GEL and maybe invest in a top brand like Loctite. A pack of 12 x 1-gramme bottles is more sensible than it sounds, because storage life/ nozzle blocking are a big waste factor.

Latest posts

Back