Glue suitable for chopping boards

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Titebond 3 seems to have built up a hallowed go-to reputation, when it comes to water resistance and chopping boards, and boy does the cost of just 1/2 litre reflect the myth!

I have no doubt for our American cousins it is cost effective. But by the time it reaches European shores the price is extortionate.

When you actually look into titebonds gluing category, we have equal and even better glues than titebond to do the job.

Wood glue in Europe is measured in D or ‘durability’ classifications ranging from D1 to D4. Depending on how the glue performs in different environments, D4 being the best. America has a similar classification (ANSI)

So as a comparison:

Titebond 2 is equivalent to D2

Titebond 3 is equivalent to D3

Everbuild 502 is equivalent to D3

Everbuild D4 is…D4

So instead of paying £15.00 or so for (less than) 1/2 litre of Titebond 3. You can get the equivalent Everbuild 502 for £8.00 and that is for a litre! … or if you want to be extra extra certain of the voracity of the glue then Everbuild D4 will set you back £12.50 - again for a full litre.

But unless you are intending to submerse your chopping board under water for several hours then I would suggest Everbuild 502, like its very expensive American cousin, Titebond 3, is more than adequate!

I’m not sure water resistance and being food safe are the same, especially with resin based glues.

Everbuild 503 has an allergic reaction warning and an ecological toxicity warnings from a glance at the SDS. Not what I’d want to eat off.

(I’m no TB3 fanboy, I wish other glues would get FDA or equivalent approved).

I’m not sure water resistance and being food safe are the same, especially with resin based glues.

Everbuild 503 has an allergic reaction warning and an ecological toxicity warnings from a glance at the SDS. Not what I’d want to eat off.

(I’m no TB3 fanboy, I wish other glues would get FDA or equivalent approved).
The problem is that it's like comparing apples with oranges when referring to SDS.

Additionally SDS refer to the liquid state of the glue not so much the cured product, which more or less becomes inert.

The American standards don't appear to be as intense and thorough as European standards.
If you look at the SDS on toxicity of titebond 3, for example you'll find a range of blank unanswered spaces, where in comparison, they are answered in the everbuild SDS.
I'm sure if they were answered, then perhaps you wouldn't want to eat off theirs either!

Interestingly Titebond does promote itself as food safe but only for "indirect food contact" which means for example, if it touches a plastic bag, which in turn touches food it will be safe.
I suspect the same would be true of any wood glue!

My view is, given where wood glue is used, very little of it if at all is in contact with the surface, and once cured it presents a miniscule threat to human life. Otherwise I'm sure I or someone on this forum would have read something about it by now!

The problem is that it's like comparing apples with oranges when referring to SDS.

Additionally SDS refer to the liquid state of the glue not so much the cured product, which more or less becomes inert.

The American standards don't appear to be as intense and thorough as European standards.
If you look at the SDS on toxicity of titebond 3, for example you'll find a range of blank unanswered spaces, where in comparison, they are answered in the everbuild SDS.
I'm sure if they were answered, then perhaps you wouldn't want to eat off theirs either!

Interestingly Titebond does promote itself as food safe but only for "indirect food contact" which means for example, if it touches a plastic bag, which in turn touches food it will be safe.
I suspect the same would be true of any wood glue!

My view is, given where wood glue is used, very little of it if at all is in contact with the surface, and once cured it presents a miniscule threat to human life. Otherwise I'm sure I or someone on this forum would have read something about it by now!
I've noticed that the fad for home made chopping boards correlates with the rise in flat earthism. Not saying it's necessarily the glue, but I think it warrants further investigation.

Its classed as D4
Contrary to what you may have seen on line Titebond 3 is not to D4 standard.
The below is a reply from the titebond technical team in the USA -

"The construction group has not run The European Standards. However our Industrial group has been working on a D4 product."

The message goes on to say -

"We know our TB3 DOES NOT PASS D4..."

Hope this clears it up for everyone. TB3 does not pass D4 standard/classification

Back