Glue suitable for chopping boards

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worker

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, can you recommend a glue suitable for chopping boards, ideally a budget option as I am not making any money from making them! I am a hobbyist woodworker and have only used Everbuild 502 for small projects. I couldn't make head or tails out of the technical info on their website :LOL: and whether it would be safe if it ever came into contact with food.

Last edited:
You need a water resistant glue at least, personally I'd use something like cascamite a waterproof glue. Food safe doesn't really come into it, once the glue is cured it won't contaminate anything.
By the way, Titebond isn't just PVA it is better than a standard white glue, trust me 😄

As above, Titebond has a different chemical make-up to PVA. I was converted some years ago from using PVA and Cascamite, or what ever it's now branded as. Yes it is more expensive but does go a very long way. Just make sure you use the Titebond III

Colin

Hi, can you recommend a glue suitable for chopping boards, ideally a budget option as I am not making any money from making them! I am a hobbyist woodworker and have only used Everbuild 502 for small projects. I couldn't make head or tails out of the technical info on their website :LOL: and whether it would be safe if it ever came into contact with food.
I would recommend Tightbond. It’s the best glue I’ve found for wood. They do a waterproof version.

I used Titebond III about 15 years ago on two chopping boards, which are still going strong. I guess I should have done one with Everbuild 502 as a control, but didn't think of it at the time.

wudcare PVA is just as good as titebond, and it's water proof too, I don't bother with titebond anymore.

titebond "original" msds...IMO deliberately vague.
http://www.titebond.cl/sitio/user/productos/archivos/MSDS Original Wood Glue.pdftitebond III msds ..there are lots of them, this is the only one that I found which actually tells you the chemical composition.the others are all IMO deliberately vague.
http://www.titebond.cl/sitio/user/productos/archivos/MSDS Titebond III.pdfnote the constituents .."Crosslink Polyvinyl Acetate" ..in other words simple PVA
and "diethylene glycol monobutyl ether"..which is a solvant ( it aids PVA solvability and acts as a wetting agent in this PVA H2O mix )..it isn't a magic ingredient.It won't prove adhesion, it isn't an adhesive, but it might aid in penetration or microfilm forming..maybe..possibly..perhaps..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEG_monobutyl_etheralsos scroll down to section 11. in the titebond III msds.
The inclusion of diethylene glycol monobutyl ether makes it irritant and to a degree toxic..not enough to be really dangerous, but it is not mentioned on any other MSDS for titebond III, neither is the fact that the adhesive is simple PVA.

Note also that the diethylene glycol monobutyl ether is animal tested..as if they needed to..it has been known for multiple decades that it is an irritant to skin , eyes, etc."Dermal" frequently includes drops into eyes, some MSDS do distinguish Ocular, but not all, depends on local requirements as to how drops in eyes is mentioned, or not, but if it is noted that a product is irritant to eyes, it has been tested on live animal eyes , usually on live rabbits eyes.

So titebond III is PVA with a bit ( 1% - 5% ) solvant added, nothing else, same formula as any other PVA glue..but more expensive ..all PVA glue is waterproof, if there is enough PVA in the base mix. Waterproof when dry is the nature of PVA.

interesting that Chile gets a "real" MSDS, the rest of us get a no information as to what is actually in it "vague" one
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.cl"Branding" :)

Last edited:
Hey there, Tightbond III, water resistant and food save. We also use it for our Front Oak Doors. Used it for several cutting boards at my home, no trouble until now (around three years)

With woody regards

Sascha

Latest posts

Back