Lots of hot air

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can someone tell me how much sea levels have risen in the past 30 years in the UK?
It is not a localised differential level. globally sea level has risen by 200mm since 1901. However since WW2 the rise has started to be more exponential in its rate of increase

Last edited:
It is not a localised differential level. globally sea level has risen by 200mm since 1901. However since WW2 the rise has started to be almost exponential in its rate of increase

My estuary village should be under water then. But its not.

I wonder how much the exponential rise has been since WW2. We probably didn't have people measuring sea level rises so fervently as today either

The only way to fix this is to have a command economy run by experts, who will tell us what we can and cannot do

as opposed to having the economy run by capitalists, who run the world and tell us what we can and cannot do.

How do you think a farmer would get on if he said to Tesco "Im going to have to put my prices up"

Can someone tell me how much sea levels have risen in the past 30 years in the UK?
Read the science then you can tell us! Changes in mean sea level around Great Britain over the past 200 years
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman....s-will-be-submerged-if-sea-levels-rise-184083https://www.adaptationscotland.org....RES_4656_Climate_Projections_report_FINAL.pdfApparently there are regional variations in projected sea level rise primarily due to vertical land movement caused by rebound from the last ice age. i.e. still recovering from the ice age 20000 years ago, which is a hint of how short the holocene has been in geological time

You are right, 45% of waste in the uk is "recycled". What they dont tell you that over half of that 45% is burnt in incinerators. so in theory really less than 25% of waste in uk is actually recycled. but then you dig into that even further and a lot of that 25% is sent over to the far east to countries like Malaysia and Philippines for "recycling" where in fact it is just burnt or dumped in riverways and the ocean because those countries receive way more waste than they can process all the while having no internal infrastructure themselves to deal with their own waste that could be recycled.

Climate change is just a convenient discussion to have when in reality governments cant do anything. People scream for change but like the OP says, any real change would have a severe impact on our liberty and freedom and those same people screaming out today will tear down their own governments tomorrow for the changes they made should they listen to them today. There is no win here.

it is difficult.

capitalism ignores long term problems -the capitalist drive is short term profit.

lets have a think what health and safety would be like if we left it to businesses to choose......

Read the science then you can tell us! Changes in mean sea level around Great Britain over the past 200 years
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman....s-will-be-submerged-if-sea-levels-rise-184083https://www.adaptationscotland.org....RES_4656_Climate_Projections_report_FINAL.pdfApparently there are regional variations in projected sea level rise primarily due to vertical land movement caused by rebound from the last ice age. i.e. still recovering from the ice age 20000 years ago, which is a hint of how short the holocene has been in geological time

I was asking how much they've risen already, not how much they've been "modelled" to rise

Last edited:
it is difficult.

capitalism ignores long term problems -the capitalist drive is short term profit.

lets have a think what health and safety would be like if we left it to businesses to choose......
True but would you accept a political regime such as Russian/China/Cuba where you have little control even over your smallest liberties.

Realistically it won't happen and that's why it will all come to a head sooner rather than later.

True but would you accept a political regime such as Russian/China/Cuba where you have little control even over your smallest liberties.

Realistically it won't happen and that's why it will all come to a head sooner rather than later.
A regime more like Britain in wartime would be nearer the mark. People took great pride in it and didn't regard it as repressive, they had more sense.

A regime more like Britain in wartime would be nearer the mark. People took great pride in it and didn't regard it as repressive, they had more sense.

There was a war on. You simply cannot compare something like climate change to a war.

It's all here as per earlier post Changes in mean sea level around Great Britain over the past 200 years
Or here Rising Sea Levels - POST where the rounded up figure for the last century is 200mm as stated earlier by Droogs.
If your estuary village "should be underwater" are you saying it is only 200mm above sea level? Where is this? Does it get flooded?

It does rarely flood. But I think it used to rarely flood a 100 years ago too.

Most of the floods we see on TV are due to changes in river management, value of real estate being newsworthy and a lack of drainage maintenance

Back