Looking for my first table saw......

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy brookes

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I think I would find a table saw very useful. Thinking of buying an inexpensive one first to see. Found this on screwfix link anyone had experience for one?

Cheers Andy

Andy I really wouldn't advise you buy either of these. Cheap table saws should be avoided at all costs. They are often dangerous, scary and make woodworking an unhappy experience. Is that your maximum budget? If so you might want to think about a circular saw with a good guide rail system like the EZ Smart.

Andy,

I totally agree with Wizer on that, cheap table saws are just not worth getting....as for suggestions as to what to get, do you have a budget?

If you look inside either of these I'd bet they both look the same. I've had a few of these type saws. Different badges, sometime a different case but the tops and the fence are all pretty much the same (maybe a different colour plastic but the same mould. They seem to serve their purpose as long as you realise that it's not to produce anything of a finish. I used them to trim bits of ply and shiplap for chicken houses - posh little sheds but not exactly cabinet making. When they start to smoke I throw them out the door! I've now changed to a 10" cast iron SIP. much nicer to use and so much quieter.

My advise would be that which Dr Johnson gave to a young man about to marry. Don't!
There's no reason why you need a 'first table saw' to be followed by others. Buy the best you can afford and you'll own need to buy once.

Roy.

Hi Andy,

Yep, as said by others, the cheaper brush motored saws such as those listed by you are not an ideal introduction to sawing - they are more likely to put you off! (It would be interesting seeing how Norm would cope with one! :lol: )

I have a Kity 419 for my own home workshop and its excellent, if slightly underpowered for deeper rips.
A version from the Far East has been introduced by a few suppliers in the UK, one of them here: link
Cast iron top, induction motor, good sliding carriage, a nice saw and very good value for the money. The carriage is maybe a little lightweight if it has to support heavy/long stuff. Even so, I'd say this is the starting point if you are looking for a good stable quiet saw.

cheers,
Andy

Having used saws with Alloy, pressed steel and cast iron tables I would advise you to stay away from both pressed steel and Alloy.
The pressed steel ones seem rarely to be flat and the Alloy ones wear remarkably quickly.

Regarding the Rutlands saw, Axminster sell EXACTLY the same for £278.00 plus free delivery, it's the TS200, I know cos I bought one, the main table and sliding carriage are cast iron whilst the extension table is pressed steel, it's finnicky to put together but if I can, you can, all in all a nice bit of kit that suits the size of my shed and workload.

another happy axminster TS-200 buyer here, much better than the £130 saws I've used before. I don't know if the Rutlands saw comes with anything (other than a £20 delivery charge), but the axminster came with an extra cross cutting blade as well a free delivery, but the website doesn't seem to offer it now

mike

andy king":3vxylvh2 said:
It would be interesting seeing how Norm would cope with one! :lol:

In the early series Norm didn't have half the kit you see now (actually uses a hammer instead of a nailer!) :D

Couldn't agree more with what's been said. I owned a £200 saw once and I just couldn't get on with the thing. I went and brought a £200 SIP 12" bandsaw instead (it suits my needs and space!).

I've also heard good things about the Axminster Kity-clone. If I had the space and the money though, I'd probably go for the Record Power 200 model. Or, one of the bigger Axminster saws. :wink:

Rich":yfe23f8n said:
Axminster sell EXACTLY the same for £278.00 plus free delivery, it's the TS200
Not sure it's quite the same - the Fox seems to have cast iron extensions, but I'm not sure they're worth the extra £120...
The TS200 in the Axminster showroom seemed to have a rather flexible measuring rail - is that a problem in reality?

i was looking ones like that when i first wanted to get mine and glad i listened and went for a better one.

also thought they are quite big and i dont want to have to buy another one any time soon
i choose the Bosch gts10 but sure each to there own

cambournepete":1oxcop5v said:
Rich":1oxcop5v said:
Axminster sell EXACTLY the same for £278.00 plus free delivery, it's the TS200
Not sure it's quite the same - the Fox seems to have cast iron extensions, but I'm not sure they're worth the extra £120...
The TS200 in the Axminster showroom seemed to have a rather flexible measuring rail - is that a problem in reality?

The measuring rail seems fine to me
The description of the fox does seem to say cast iron extensions, but the mass listed for fox is 69kg to the axminster 68kg, so I imagine that they are identical (even if measured a little differently by the stores)

Mike

I had the B&Q one (or one very similar) in my early woody 'hobby career' and as a first saw it is fine. Eventually, you'll grow out of it, but for the price it's a good start

in a couple of years, you'll be frustrated with the noise and the fence, but you'll have learnt a lot in the intervening time

Thanks for all the replies, very enlightening. Took a good long look at the EZ Smart system, quite impressed with how that works. But I think I will take the advise of making up some jigs for ripping sheet materials with my little dewalt circular saw. I think a couple of home made jigs will do for the work that I have coming up. Maybe I will ask for an EZsmart system as a birthday prezzie!

Very glad I asked the question before rushing out to buy something that would be rubbish and maybe dangerous.

Top chaps, thanks.

Cheers Andy

Hold on just now; don’t dish the idea of a table saw just yet.

I have two table saws an EB PKF255 and a smaller Bosch GTS10 and also a Mafell circular saw with all guides etc.

Everything has its purpose and best use, but I can tell you for general DIY and furniture building you cannot do without a good table saw.

So if even if you have a small budget and you are only starting out try to get the best tools you can afford at that time, if that is second hand, so be it.

Now try this saw for a starter

http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search. ... +table+saw

If you are on a budget have you considered picking up a second hand Triton WorkCentre from Ebay - usually go for about £100.
A lot more accurate than the B&Q stuff and if you want later on buy some of the more useful accessories (router top) etc.

Unfortunately its no less of a screaming banshee than the other brushed motors :D

Harry

Back