Lidl Update

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Under what circumstances does someone need a plasma cutter at home? Genuine question!
Because I do a lot of metal fabrication as well as woodwork. Actually I do far more metalwork than woodwork.
I already have half a dozen different ways to chop metal, have managed without a plasma for 40 years so I don't really need to spend £400 on a good one, but there are many times that a Lidl cheapie would come in very handy.

Even better question: WTF is a plasma cutter?

It's for cutting plasma. You can find plasma in blood, the sun, and also in fusion reactors. I'm not sure why you'd want to cut plasma, maybe to fit it into smaller fusion reactor chambers?

*edit*
Ok, joking aside, "The basic plasma cutting process involves creating an electrical channel of superheated, electrically ionized gas i.e. plasma, from the plasma cutter itself, through the work piece to be cut, thus forming a completed electric circuit back to the plasma cutter through a grounding clamp."

I think I’m correct in saying that the Aldi chisel sets were made by the Wilhelm Schmidt company in Remscheid, Germany, the same people who make the ‘Two Cherries’ (or just ‘Cherries’ in the US) range of tools. It’s a large concern, these days, but under family management since forever. I don’t know the specific grade of steel used, but they do rust a bit, which means a better edge In use.

Funny though, their carving gouges were absolute rubbish but then that was more than ten years ago, maybe their quality has improved since

Even better question: WTF is a plasma cutter?
I used one once many moons ago when we had a sample to test/import - best description I have is it felt like using a 'star wars light sabre' that cuts through metal (without the glowing neon and sci-fi zooming sound, plus no heat to the metal after cutting) - I was well impressed with the wiggly shape I cut in 1/4" thick steel.
Would I ever really need one - probably not
Would I buy one as a thing to maybe use if it was cheap enough for a laugh and I'd find a use - yes
Fair play to Aldi / Lidl they must have some decent & bizarre factory contacts.

As an aside, I also know a really nice unassuming guy via my daughters football team who joined Aldi well over 25 years ago - they only had 4 stores in UK when he started - he's now very high up within the organisation & I don't doubt exceptionally well paid, but he is always good for a laugh when he talks about the frustration of having the right product but being so far behind on 'customer store experience' it makes his head hurt.

but he is always good for a laugh when he talks about the frustration of having the right product but being so far behind on 'customer store experience' it makes his head hurt.

I actually find the customer experience in Lidl/Aldi quite refreshing. The store I go to is well-staffed and they're quick to open extra checkouts even if it's only to process one or two people to keep the queues down. The staff are all really friendly and pleasant, they're always willing to give me mum a hand when she wants something lifting into her trolley..

I'm not sure why they'd think they were behind in customer service - I'd rather they stuck to providing good quality products at low prices.

I'm not sure why they'd think they were behind in customer service - I'd rather they stuck to providing good quality products at low prices.

Hi Bill, he says mainly it's because they tend to keep certain fresh goods on the shelves when they are clearly at end of expiry when other stores replenish.
He said this is down to the 'target driven' manager down mindset of not throwing too much away as they are penalised for this, yet he knows that if say you have 4 split left over watermelons lying there you will lose sales on maybe 50 unless you re-stock with fresh ones. He also admitted that re-stocking during shopping hours is sometimes chaotic with pallet trucks all over the place.
Don't get me wrong, he is v proud of what they are and knows he has some great staff who look after customers and are also fairly well paid - it's just niggles like that he said that does his head in when it can be easily resolved.
Cheers, Nick

Re the chisels, the Lidl (Powerfix) ones have European ash handles and "Abraham Diederichs, Wuppertal" on the back of the packet.

Aldi's are "Workzone", have ash handles and "Produced in China for Aldi" on the back of the packet.

The actual chisels look and feel exactly the same. I think hornbeam was used for the handles as well. And I haven't seen them for a few years, it could be 4 years as mentioned up thread.

Im waiting for the excellent lidls little Ultimate Speed car tyre compressor, I had one for some years before it packed up and the “Twin Cylinder” ebay one I bought is plastic rubbish and incredibly,,only has one cylinder,,the other is just an empty plastic case,,I got a good refund for that but its still rubbish and Im hoping that Lidl get them in before it packs up as it surely must.
As to plasma cutters,,I used one once just briefly and in my ignorance my impression was that it was just an arc welder with a blast of compressed air to blow through the molten metal,,no doubt more to it than that but incredible that lidls were selling them alongside the fluffy Crivet slippers,,

Latest posts

Back