Lidl Update

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billw

The Tattooed One
Reaction score
Very little in my local store this week. Lots of empty shelves although if you're a fan of frozen goose I'd get a shift on.

Woodworking stuff was basically non-existent. There was one unit of some power tool that was £69.99 and in a very large box, but I can't remember what it was. No drill bits, auger bits, or anything else useful.

Non essential stuff like tools are cordened off here......
was thinking that as they order their promotions months ahead they gotta be hurting....
also tools and DIY materials can only be purchased by Bonafied trades people with VAT numbers etc........
click and go has stopped completely......oh what fun.....

It seems to me that my local Lidl has more cardboard box piles than stuff on sale....... it's incredibly untidy.

Some while ago, Paul Sellers was getting enthusiastic about their own-brand chisels, presumably made in Germany. Are they still selling them?

Ah good to see they have a consistent national approach then :LOL:

We've got several stores nearby, they are never consistent. One might be totally out of stock of ketchup for instance, the store less than 2 miles away will have a pallet full on the shop floor! lol

We've got several stores nearby, they are never consistent. One might be totally out of stock of ketchup for instance, the store less than 2 miles away will have a pallet full on the shop floor! lol

Ah that's different to *what* they offer though. Both stores have that product but one is sold out. This is where the store is offering different products, so your middle aisle seems to have a different selection to mine.

Ah that's different to *what* they offer though. Both stores have that product but one is sold out. This is where the store is offering different products, so your middle aisle seems to have a different selection to mine.

Ah I see your point. Maybe my local just didn't sell as much. Tools and stuff seem to be available for long time in all our stores, they sell eventually but takes a while. I don't mind as quite often I get to pick stuff up at a discount.

Tools and stuff seem to be available for long time in all our stores, they sell eventually but takes a while. I don't mind as quite often I get to pick stuff up at a discount.
I think they normally have a designated store in any given area, where they collect up any non food items that are unsold from all the local stores, if you are lucky these stores are were you can get the real bargains, over and above the standard one size fits all 30% off stickers

It seems to me that my local Lidl has more cardboard box piles than stuff on sale....... it's incredibly untidy.

Some while ago, Paul Sellers was getting enthusiastic about their own-brand chisels, presumably made in Germany. Are they still selling them?
They haven't had them here for four years - I watch for them. (Nor Aldi.)

I think they normally have a designated store in any given area, where they collect up any non food items that are unsold from all the local stores, if you are lucky these stores are were you can get the real bargains, over and above the standard one size fits all 30% off stickers
This is news to me! I’m totally phoning Lidl today. It’s been doing my head in: what do they do with the woodworking stuff they don’t sell? Is there a store near me that has a pile of stuff from November/December, waiting to get sold.

I'm waiting for the Plasma cutter.....never here in Crete.....
it'll have to come from the UK....
and our stores have different stuff to u on different dates.......
no consistancy, constantley......
thats except for cheese pies......do u get cheese pies in the UK stores.....???
might be a local thing.....mmmmmmn....

I'm waiting for the Plasma cutter.....
The plasma cutter is the holy grail of Lidl tools, I've been trying to get one for years.
According to people on the welding forum there are organized gangs in London who buy them all up as soon as they appear. Even the shop staff know that you can put them straight on eBay at twice the price, they're all gone within ten minutes of opening if they even make it onto the shop floor at all.

They haven't had them here for four years - I watch for them. (Nor Aldi.)

It's Aldi chisels that Mr. Sellers praises so highly. I found a set forgotten about in my dad's shed. I can confirm they sharpen up beautiful and hold an edge great. Just a bit of surface corrosion from sitting in a shed for a couple of years, nothing a bit of wet & dry couldn't take care of.

Attachments

• 1024-18202.jpg
    1024-18202.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 1024-18203.jpg
    1024-18203.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
My best pal managed to get a plasma cutter last year - he'd heard somewhere that demand was going to be high, so he actually got to the Chesterfield store an hour before they opened, just before a (very blunt, from his description) lady turned up who was also after one! There was a bit of a rush down the aisle, but it turned out both parties were successful!
Laddo got it back to his workshop - excited, like a kid at Christmas - only to find out that his compressor had packed up....

And yes, regarding the Aldi chisels - they too were soon recognised as being a lot more than the norm for the price, and disappeared at a rate of knots. Badged, of course, but I think I read somewhere that the actual maker had been "identified" - courtesy of the handle design? - but that the "proper named" jobs were 9 or 10 times more expensive.

The plasma cutter is the holy grail of Lidl tools, I've been trying to get one for years.
According to people on the welding forum there are organized gangs in London who buy them all up as soon as they appear. Even the shop staff know that you can put them straight on eBay at twice the price, they're all gone within ten minutes of opening if they even make it onto the shop floor at all.

Wow really? I passed up on one at 30% off last time they were in.

My best pal managed to get a plasma cutter last year - he'd heard somewhere that demand was going to be high, so he actually got to the Chesterfield store an hour before they opened, just before a (very blunt, from his description) lady turned up who was also after one! There was a bit of a rush down the aisle, but it turned out both parties were successful!
Laddo got it back to his workshop - excited, like a kid at Christmas - only to find out that his compressor had packed up....

And yes, regarding the Aldi chisels - they too were soon recognised as being a lot more than the norm for the price, and disappeared at a rate of knots. Badged, of course, but I think I read somewhere that the actual maker had been "identified" - courtesy of the handle design? - but that the "proper named" jobs were 9 or 10 times more expensive.
Happens a lot.
The belt and disc sander is really popular too. Missed it last time round (it was on sale for £75) and it’s now on eBay for £130ish. It’s made by scheppach and The ‘original’ scheppach one sells for £150. Twice the price, for the same item.
ps. If anyone sees one in their local please grab it for me - I will happily pay postage and return the favour!

Latest posts

Back