Lidded form

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark sanger

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Thought I would share this one. I have been re-visiting previous work and seeing how I can change/develop it.

This is the same form as my chilli piece but I wanted to make a natural piece with a different finial.
It is olive ash 320mm high x 100mm dia. With and anjan lid and finial.

STA70896edsmall.jpg

Hi Mark,

I like this one more than your Chilli form.

Somehow this one is more classic and elegant.

Nice flow to the finial and I like the way the base has narrowed in and tucked under.

It's a beauty for sure.

If I had to be begative about anything it would be the fact that I didn't turn it!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers,

Lee.

Mark,

It is beautifull. The only problem is that every time I look at one of your pieces I feel like selling the lathe and taking up basket weaving.

Ray

Lovely lines Mark, very clean looking in form and finish, any chance of a top shot to see how you finished it.

Hi all

Thank you very much for all of your comments they are much appreciated.

Chas

When you say you want to know how I finished it how do you mean.

They are made by slicing off the top, hollowing out then re-inserting with an offset hole.

How you make them is in a previous woodturning mag. But the one in the article is scorched and on a plinth.

mark sanger":3vdb7fbo said:
Chas
They are made by slicing off the top, hollowing out then re-inserting with an offset hole.

OK Mark, I guessed as much having seen past pieces, just interested in how well the 'lid' blended into the piece with the distinctive grain.

CHJ":3tcb6j6m said:
mark sanger":3tcb6j6m said:
Chas

OK Mark, I guessed as much having seen past pieces, just interested in how well the 'lid' blended into the piece with the distinctive grain.

You should be able to get a good match as the piece is sliced from the end.

Normally better than this as the piece inserted here is from a totally different blank as the first shattered on me. :cry:

But normally you can get an exact match.

STA70898edlsmalldetail.jpg

That looks rather nice Mark 8) Were you not tempted to ebonise the lid part of the form to hide the gap between it and the main piece of the form?
The finial is very nice indeed :D

JT

Hi

Thank you

John

I thought about ebonising it and there are quite a few options I have in mind. I am not too worried about hiding the join as when I have to join if I can not totally hide it then I make it obvious that it is suppose to be there, if you see what I mean.

The problem I saw with ebonising the top it is that the colour would dominate the top section and then I would have wanted to put it on a black plinth to connect the colour towards the base or I was concerned it may look too much. But it certainly is an option.

Back