LEAST LIKED WOODWORKING TASKS!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finding a piece of wood the right size, I haven't got a thicknesser and I buy scrap which is mostly strip-wood

Aidan

spending time saving up money to buy tools or material to make stuff. all i can do is look at catalogs and wish :cry:

My most hated task so far is thicknessing hardwood (Ipé) because I really have to fight with my thicknesser all the way. It can't handle taking off more than 1mm at a time, and the height adjust lever tends to move itself when the machine's struggling (it's fine with softwoods).... and to top it all off, it feels like a real waste of wood.

Changing bandsaw blades and router cutters.
Although the latter is better since I installed the Triton under the router table :lol:

John

Glueing and clamping. Takes ages to set and then takes ages to removes the dryed glue from the joints. Can't move in workshop for all the clamps sticking out everywhere.

cant help with the size of the workshop

can help with the glue

use trade wipes to remove the excess glue while its still wet, they even work on PU glues

i know PU glues continue to ooze out but you have far less to remove after it sets

For me it has to be using the power router. Some things can't be done without it, but the noise and especially the dust is something I really hate.

My 'shop is so small that if I don't clean up every half an hour I won't fit in myself any more. Cleaning up after hand tools takes a few minutes, just pick up the chips and shavings, but cleaning up after power tools takes ages as the dust gets everywhere. And the dust also spreads around the house on my shoes and clothes, which I don't like a bit more than my wife.

Pekka

For me it has to be getting the wallet out and paying for it - not just because I am on a pension and funds are tight but because I live far from any real timber yards I have got to pay through the teeth for local 'palette merchants' to get it in for me - Pembroke in West Wales is a beautiful place to live and I would not live anywhere else but it's the back of beyond when you need tidy timber etc -
a couple of the comments on this thread brought a smile though

Digit - Correcting my mistakes! Embarassed (very honest)

Streepips Trying to knot the bandage with one hand
(now that brought tears of laughter - been there done that - got the scars)

Glad you appreciated the imagery Dewi *S*,
the wounds and battlescars are all part of the apprenticeship, although all mine have fortunately been fleshwounds, all healed and fine, but it certainly makes one that bit more careful.

for me its either emptying the high pressure dust extractor or -and i think this wins - fitting the plastic bag onto the HVLP extractor - I have used magnets to hold the bag on as I try to fit the band on but normally at least two of the magnets try to mate! I must get around to sticking them to some wooden handles.

Back