lathe speed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
hope i am in the right forum for this question i have,
some of us remember model train sets with a transformer and the more we turned it up the faster a train would go,,
is it at all possible to do the same with a lathe motor.
mine starts from 500 revs up to 2000 but would like it start at a lower speeds ie= from zero revs to whatever i need.
i am just thinking about working large unbalanced pieces at slow speeds
and then increasing the speed as i get to round.
hope you understand the question
(i am not really electrically minded)
regards
david.

Hello David, I was pondering the very same question, and had a look at the phase inverters as a solution, but decided that the cost didn't justify it.

Like you I am not at all electrically minded and thought about a rheostat, except I couldn't find any except for light dimmer switches. apparently they would do work, but would burn out for a pastime, so not a good idea.
I saw these switches on ebay and did wonder if they would work on a single phase motor without an inverter. Anyone know???

ebay link

I believe you can alter the speed of single phase motors with a dimmer/rheosat type control but the problem you have is no torque/power at the lower speeds and will stall the motor. That is why lathes use inverters to run on single phase supply with a 3 phase motor. With this arrangement you get the torque across the full speed range.

If you think about it if the dimmer switch option worked why isn't it used in variable speed lathes as it's a cheaper option? :)

Whitley":1yuj3gq7 said:
I saw these switches on ebay and did wonder if they would work on a single phase motor without an inverter. Anyone know???.......

On their own No.

They are just a remote control box for connection to an electronic 1phase to 3 phase convertor.

They allow you to place the controls where you want them as opposed to the ones on the front face of the invertor box which is normally fitted in a dust protective box.

thanks to you all for responding to my question
i suppose its back to the drawing board for the time being,
regards
david.

Mark, I know there are lathes with variable speed devices fitted, but I have no idea what makes them work, hence the question about rheostats.

Back