Laminate flooring scotia

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphy

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I have been asked by a friend to lay waterproof laminate flooring in his small bathroom as I have done the rest of his bungalow with laminate flooring, my question is fixing the scotia to the shower tray and also the tiles are going down to the floor so no skirting to fix to, I was thinking about using contact adhesive, or is there a better way

I’ve done this with clear silicone in the past and held it in place with anything heavy . I have tried other adhesives ( liquid nails etc but the colour can stand out if the tiles/ wall are not perfectly flat . Also the silicone is waterproof of course ..

Thank you Bingy man, that would be much easier than contact adhesive

Just have your weights ready to keep the scotia in place , blocks of wood weighed down with bricks . You may need to use lateral force as well as direct . What ever adhesive you use you won’t need a lot -just a thin bead on both faces ..

The issue with a 'thin bead' is that it will not accommodate a lot of movement. Especially if the laminate is laid as a floating floor, if the scotia is too strongly attached to both floor and vertical surface, it will try to tear itself apart.

I would glue it well to the vertical surface,using a thin bead as suggested (looks better) with maybe a 2mm shim under it. Once it has set, then use colour-matched sealant to fill the 2mm gap beneath it.

That would give a lot more potential for movement and makes cleaning easy.

Thank you all for the advice, I have always left a 10mm gap all around so that the floor can move and only ever nailed to the skirting with a nail gun and small brads, I will try what flying haggis said, CT1 adhesive

Latest posts

Back