Keyboard

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob

New Luddism. Awake and resist!
Reaction score
Wossa good keyboard for a near beginner? I'm OK sight reading on guitar etc but want to do more theory. No plans to actually play keyboard - just for learning purposes.

monkeybiter":157e64m9 said:
I've got a couple of Dells and some old IBMs if you'd like?
Er- no I meant musical keyboards - digitally tinkling the ivories and that. Ta anyway

Jacob":27o39eqo said:
Wossa good keyboard for a near beginner? I'm OK sight reading on guitar etc but want to do more theory. No plans to actually play keyboard - just for learning purposes.

Does not matter really if you are just using it to learn and make a noise. They can get pricey with weighted keys and force detection and also if you want the full 88 keys. I would say look for a second hand Yamaha Clavinova, loads on eBay from £50 to thousands. You will get a decent large keyboard maybe with weighted keys and headphone socket which improves on the shocking inbuilt speaker.

OK thanks. The one I've got (free from freecycle) is an old Casiotone CT 640 which has a host of John Shuttleworth features, but yes a good keyboard is the longer term plan.
I fancied this Oberheim but thought it too soon to risk a spur of the moment decision!
I'll keep looking.

Jacob":3a6cpqrm said:
OK thanks. The one I've got (free from freecycle) is an old Casiotone CT 640 which has a host of John Shuttleworth features, but yes a good keyboard is the longer term plan.
I fancied this Oberheim but thought it too soon to risk a spur of the moment decision!
I'll keep looking.

Ah OK, you have a "thing" already. In that case you mean better rather than just "an keyboard".

Get something decent with good resale then as if you keep it, it will be decent and you will like it. If you hate it, you will get your money back. The Oberheim would work as would Roland, Yamaha, Casio and Korg. Might depend if you want a "Piano" style or more Synth keyboard. For best value piano style Yamaha rule, get the P115 Yam. Roland are awesome but more expensive, the keyboard player in my band plays a Roland RD800 but it is £1700 or so.

If the purpose of the keyboard is to "lay out the notes" in front of you
so that the music stave is more comprehensible, the Casio will serve fine,
as would virtually anything else.

BugBear

bugbear":lwbjsmhv said:

BugBear

Which is pretty much my first point but I did not know there was a Casio so the request was for better, hence my revised suggestion.

bugbear":26htr4xg said:

BugBear
I want something slightly better so I can hear/see the music theory material more clearly - all that chord stuff; major, minor, dominant 7, half diminished 7th, tritones, resolutions, cadences etc. and possibly with a playback system so I can put together accompaniments and vamp along with my guitar. I'm trying to catch up with all the stuff I should have been doing for the last 50 years!
I've bought the book and downloaded the audio files from here

I've only just started on the keyboard theme so all suggestions so far have been interesting and useful. Thanks very much.
I've also got my grandmas piano gathering dust and in need of tuning but I think it's past it and time for it to go.

PS Yamaha P115 looks a goodun (or the earlier model)

If you fancy buying a nice keyboard, just buy one :D (or two :lol: ), and stop wibbling on about learning theory!

BugBear

Jacob":2f9n7yas said:
I've also got my grandmas piano gathering dust and in need of tuning but I think it's past it and time for it to go.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Jacob":1k8d4usk said:
I'm wibbling on about learning theory because that's what I want to do.
It appears, on the evidence, that you want to do is buy another instrument.

Well, if you think another instrument is the answer, far be it from me to stop you. What have you got so far?

Oh yes.
some hoarder":1k8d4usk said:
Guitars: couple of classical, a Squier strat, a thin semi acoustic/electric, 4 string tenor (aka "baritone ukelele"), 2 steel acoustic. 3 Banjos: backless, fretless and flashy bluegrass type. Bouzouki. Balalaika. Keyboard. Piano. Several mouth organs. Drawers full of recorders all sizes. Bag pipe chanter. Clarinet. Fiddle.
BugBear

I got to post 10 & 11 and thought ahh! Isn't that refreshing, BB & Jacob playing nicely :D :D :D

But war soon broke out

bugbear":1lj5k07w said:
Jacob":1lj5k07w said:
I'm wibbling on about learning theory because that's what I want to do.
It appears, on the evidence, that you want to do is buy another instrument.

Well, if you think another instrument is the answer, far be it from me to stop you. What have you got so far?

Oh yes.
some hoarder":1lj5k07w said:
Guitars: couple of classical, a Squier strat, a thin semi acoustic/electric, 4 string tenor (aka "baritone ukelele"), 2 steel acoustic. 3 Banjos: backless, fretless and flashy bluegrass type. Bouzouki. Balalaika. Keyboard. Piano. Several mouth organs. Drawers full of recorders all sizes. Bag pipe chanter. Clarinet. Fiddle.
BugBear
They come and go. You've missed a few and I've also sold a few but I don't keep detailed records like you do BB. :lol:
You are not jealous are you? Go and get yourself a recorder or two and cheer yourself up - I just bought a treble Moeck Rottenburgh (ebay bargain). Most of them I'll get my money back plus a bit. I bought a guitar plus hard case a bit back - sold the guitar for more than I paid and kept the case.
Not an earner (unless I really get stuck in) but an almost self-financing harmless pastime.
And you never know - I could be a rock star if I live long enough!

PS thanks for reminding me - I'm supposed to be doing Kalinka on the balalaika (we have these themed amateur music parties). I need a bit of practice and a bit of vodka https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn06W-iBfkQ

Jacob":3kyqeqfw said:
They come and go. You've missed a few and I've also sold a few but I don't keep detailed records like you do BB. :lol:
You are not jealous are you? Go and get yourself a recorder or two and cheer yourself up - I just bought a treble Moeck Rottenburgh (ebay bargain). Most of them I'll get my money back plus a bit. I bought a guitar plus hard case a bit back - sold the guitar for more than I paid and kept the case.
Not an earner (unless I really get stuck in) but an almost self-financing harmless pastime.

PS thanks for reminding me - I'm supposed to be doing Kalinka on the balalaika (we have these themed amateur music parties). I need a bit of practice and a bit of vodka https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn06W-iBfkQ

Indeed - perhaps more time playing and learning, and less time on eBay is what you need. Post a recording when you get good!

BugBear

bugbear":70ciidg7 said:
Jacob":70ciidg7 said:

Indeed - perhaps more time playing and learning, and less time on eBay is what you need. Post a recording when you get good!

BugBear
You missed a few on your list. There's a handful of tin whistles, castanets, claves, a zither (wrecked but picturesque hanging on the wall), a lute (kit made) and last but not least a swanee whistle. Hmm I must get a kazoo or two, and a bit more percussion.
Seem to be collecting books too - I'll do you a list as you seem so interested.

Jacob":2rfwc9q7 said:
You missed a few on your list. There's a handful of tin whistles, castanets, claves, a zither (wrecked but picturesque hanging on the wall), a lute (kit made) and last but not least a swanee whistle. Hmm I must get a kazoo or two, and a bit more percussion.

Oh, the list was yours, and any errors therein also:

post999516.html?hilit=strat#p999516

Jacob":2rfwc9q7 said:
Just odds and ends. Guitars: couple of classical, a Squier strat, a thin semi acoustic/electric, 4 string tenor (aka "baritone ukelele"), 2 steel acoustic. 3 Banjos: backless, fretless and flashy bluegrass type. Bouzouki. Balalaika. Keyboard. Piano. Several mouth organs. Drawers full of recorders all sizes. Bag pipe chanter. Clarinet. Fiddle.
All projects - not a collection, the intention is/was/still is, to play them.
Wondering about an ocarina next.

PS oh and a 7 course lute (gathering dust - must get it out again)

Picked this useful advice up on the net this morning, it could apply similarly to woodwork:
"3 IMPORTANT THINGS: (A) A minimum of 30 minutes of focused practice everyday is essential. (B) You can find good guitars from $100-$400. (C) Your practice and musicality are more important than your guitar."

PPS and percussion sundries - a pair of claves (a demanding woodwork project!), a washboard, castanets, clappers

A remarkable collection.

BugBear

Back