Keeping the heat in

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stigmorgan

Established Member
Reaction score
So I love a good soak in the bath once or twice a week but the water never stays hot for long, my idea is to get a can of expanding foam, remover side panel and cover the underside of the bath with the foam, would this work or do any of you have better suggestions? It's a school house so I don't want to spend a penny more than I have to.

It would add some benefit. But if you are taking the panel off any way you would be better to use a roll of loft insulation and pack it into the void.
Agree but I'd use the recycled plastic loft insulation as it is non itchy etc easier to remove if you need to get to plumbing etc

Heat will be lost via the bath sides so insulation should help - the loft insulation idea seems best because it is easier to remove should anyone need access to pipes, taps etc or if you discover unintended consequences. Heat will also be lost from the water to air, possibly more than via the bath sides depending on how draughty or cold the bathroom is, so how about floating loads of plastic balls or polystyrene blocks around you as you wallow? I wonder if well frothed bath foam would do a bit of insulating - any physicists on here?

Heat will be lost via the bath sides so insulation should help - the loft insulation idea seems best because it is easier to remove should anyone need access to pipes, taps etc or if you discover unintended consequences. Heat will also be lost from the water to air, possibly more than via the bath sides depending on how draughty or cold the bathroom is, so how about floating loads of plastic balls or polystyrene blocks around you as you wallow? I wonder if well frothed bath foam would do a bit of insulating - any physicists on here?
Bubble bath is good to slow heat loss from the water surface 😉

I would worry about condensation from cold air hitting warm bath, plus l don't think fibreglass is a good conductor anyway, so it's really losing heat from the huge surface area.

You could install a heating pump to circulate and heat the water...

You could wrap heating conduits around the exterior of the bath...

You could stick a heating element in an enclosure and dip it in the water...

Or just top up with hot water!

one sure way to risk electrocution is having an immersion/bar heater in the bath with you - if sed heater is actually plugged in and switched on... Of course if wishing to collect on the insurance for someone else... well...?

Loft insulations round the underside of the bath.
Plus a cap over(temp of cousrs) the overflow.

Works for me.

Thinking outside of the tub…. “bring the tool to the work” n’ all …

80A2E095-0C5E-44DC-8F4F-7C84573667CF.jpeg

With this method; fill up once with hot water to desired temperature. Guaranteed you won’t have to “spend a penny”, as close-to-body-temperature will be maintained. But “top up” is optional??

I believe this model of mobile-bath-suit comes with a plug for rapid discharge.
😀👍

Back