Kapex or Domino

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leebo914

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

I am very new to woodworking although i did do some carving for a while and have been lurking about on here for a couple of years now soaking up loads of info and good advice. My dilema is what to buy next, i love tools and as yet have purchased a TS200 table saw, Axminster 1416VS lathe, hbs310 band saw and a Metabo HC260 planer thicknesser (still in the box since before christmas) some handheld power tools and some basic handtools. i have not had much use of these items as yet but i am planning on getting out as much as possible when it warms up a bit.

Since picking up these tools and a load of ash and elm last week i no longer have much room to move in my workshop so i am planning to put a new 6mx5m one up as soon as the weather turns i might even do a WIP when the time comes.

Anyway, i was looking at purchasing a Festool domino DF500 following selling off a lot of tools and books that i didn't use anymore however, after looking on the N&B website i noticed that the Kapex ks-88 costs less than the Domino set. So i was wondering if you guys might be able to advise what i might get more use from? To begin with i will be "trying" to build a table saw cabinet with built in router table, work bench mitre saw station etc.

Cheers, Lee

domino is much more useful, my boss's kapex wont do anything my 300 quid makita wont do, im all for buying festool just cant justify the chop saw.

adidat

The domino set is about £100 cheaper at £770, I bought the same set in the summer from Axminster for £649 (on offer). I think it does go on offer from time to time.

With regards to which to buy - down to what you do a lot of. I think you can find a reasonable mitre saw for not much money but you won't find a domino. For me Id go for the domino as I can either do what the CSMS does elsewhere or you can just buy a cheap one as a temporary measure. It does depend on what you do though. A domino is naff all use if you have 20m2 of decking to lay, but a CSMS will be most useful!

Sounds like you definitely don't need either until you have got going with your current collection of stuff. Several years down the line you might need one. Many people manage without - I've never bothered myself.

I've generally bought stuff as I've needed it for specific jobs or projects, that way you tend to avoid (mostly !) accumulating stuff you don't actually have a use for, but if you just like buying stuff and have money to burn then get them both :lol:

Cheers, Paul

Sorry, just to add, a mitre saw would likely get a fair amount of use building your workshop, but a cheaper one would do just as well for that kind of work, and for workshop cabinets and the like a cheap biscuit jointer for circa £100 or pockethole jig for £50 will do all you need if you want to see which gives you most use in the next coupe of years and then upgrade if you think it's worth it. You may well find that you want to spend the funds on a different bit of kit, new or upgrading, as you use your lathe or bandsaw a lot for example.

Cheers, Paul

Surely you should buy the tools you need or will need rather than amassing an army of tools. So if you told us what you make or intend to make we could advise if either Kapex or Domino are needed.

Thanks for the response guys, i think you are right i am purchasing tools without actually waiting till i need them therefore, i am going to wait till i actually have a use for an item before i take the plunge and buy it. I already have a an older Makita mitre saw and biscuit cutter that will do what i want just now, maybe i should learn the basic fundamentals of woodworking before moving on to such tools.

For once I agree with Jacob. I did the same bought tools which i did not know wheather or not I would use it, just because it was shiney and new. Now I am selling stuff off and a fair bit too. So I would save your cash and buy only what you need and know how to use. Festool are nice but damn too expensive and I won't buy one, I got other tools that can do the same but the are not black and green and don't have a badge saying festool; but they work and I know how to use them. :)

A wise decision. Time will tell what tools you will need.

I have worked wood seriously for 17 or 18 years and never needed neither a domino nor a bisquit joiner nor even a router.
Though I would not want to work without my gigantic floor standing hollow chisel mortiser and a few other tools that aren't found in flashy advertisements nor seen ou youtube.

I agree with everyone else, buy as you go along with woodworking. In the end it will end up cheaper that way believe it or not. I used to ask myself when I see items for sale here and on ebay - "why on earth is he selling that when I could make so much use out of it?" Or how often do you see the thing "only used once/twice" or "BNIB".

You are much better off spending your cash on materials and practising the craft side to start off with.

And I own a biscuit cutter, a DF500 domino and the Domino XL. In a year of owning the XL I still haven't used it once, I said I would make some nice doors out of it :roll: :roll: I really needed that cash for a dodgy EGR valve on my van this month (hammer)

I've got the Kapex and a DF500 (plus 700 as it happens).

My opinion for what it's worth? I find the Kapex very precise and just superb at dust collection, in fact I don't think anything touches it in terms of keeping your shop (and lungs) clean. I get virtually no blade deflection, nothing I can notice anyhow, whereas I have always been able to detect this on the usual suspects of DeWalt and Makita, etc. However, I'm not overly keen on the hold down clamp and find the fence interferes with the rubber dust shroud more often than not. It's a fairly small saw so figure on either a dedicated bench / stand or at the very least a pair of crown stop ends.

The Domino, both DF500 and the XL are fantastic bits of kit, very well engineered and, well they just work as they should. I prefer the XL due to it being more controllable and comfortable to use. Again dust collection is superb and in reality a must for it to work properly.

The common point to both Kapex and Domino is that you really need dust extraction with both tools in order for them to work as designed. If your not using dust extraction on the Kapex you may as well buy any other decent saw (Bosch axial glide springs to mind).

Don't underestimate dust collection, moving forward this should be at the forefront of your tool choices in my opinion. Fine wood dust is a serious health concern and not something you want to worry about retrospectively. Besides it makes for a better experience when your not constantly cleaning up.

shed9 makes a good point about dust collection. I worked without dust collection for many years and then I got an ordinary filter bad dust collector and then another.
Nowadays I must use a filter mask all the time when working in the workshop. As soon as I can afford it I will upgrade to a commercial grade filter for the dust collector. My sinuses do not like the fine dust anymore. My doctor said that with proper precautions I will be able to prewent this irritation from becoming a full blown allergy.
Please don't repeat my misstakes.

I've only been at this for a few months and already agree about dust collection. It makes a massive difference to your working environment and will be a significantly better experience. I also find that the Domino really needs dust collection in order to work correctly. If you do you end up leaving a lot of waste material in the holes and then the dominos don't fit, and then you end up trying to remove the waste.

Latest posts

Back