Festool Plug-It connector confusion

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fleyh

Established Member
Reaction score
I needed a spare lead for my Domino 500, the only corded Festool I own, and purchased one from eBay. However, it turns out that the original Plug-It connector and the one I received are not the same, and the newly acquired one does not fit my DF500.

Here's what my original connector (came with DF500) looks like,
1682674014068.png

and here's the one I purchased separately
- Its internal shape is different from mine
- it was a ebay "no return" purchase
1682674040512.png
1682674051658.png

I have two questions:
1. How many different Plug-It connectors are there?
2. Has anyone been able to successfully convert one to another without risking damage to an expensive tool?
- I am only interested in making it compatible with DF500 without breaking DF500. No other (more power hungry) tools are planned.

Thank you

Does the lead you purchased from Ebay have a moulded 240v 13a UK plug on the end of it...?
If it doesn't and it has a re-wireable plug, then the only lead that I can think of here in the UK that MAY have a different plug it connection, would be a UK 110v lead for use on a building site. ( Festool, however, dont sell a 110v version of the DF500 for the UK/ Europe market)

I know that Festool supply two different plug it leads to the North American market due to their lower voltage.
Those lower rated thinner US leads are only compatible with the lower current draw models sold in the US., hence why the connection is a different shape to avoid using the smaller lead on a tool that draws more load.

Does the lead you purchased from Ebay have a moulded 240v 13a UK plug on the end of it...?
Nope. The one I purchased is 110V and my DF500 is 240V. The idea was to change the 110V plug to 240V one.

Before buying I had a look to see if there are differences between 240V and 110V and connector side in first picture I found looked identical to one I had, so I assumed they are all the same on the tool side.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FESTOOL-...ACEMENT-CABLE-FOR-FESTOOL-203927/283636097243
1682678418496.png

Yes, this is a UK 110v -
Yes, mine looks the same.

Any ideas if 110V (connector side of the lead) is convertible into the 240V one?
I wonder if I could just cut out extra parts in the 110V connector to make it fit...

Thanks. But I would rather not mess with the domino side of things.
I was thinking if I can convert the cable to fit the tool, not the other way round.

incidentally the site you linked shows the same connector type as I was after in the first place on their 110V product
https://www.floorstock.co.uk/machinery-tools/consumables-spare-parts/festool/festool-plug-it-lead
1682679029025.png

So there must be at least two different standards of Plug-It and 110V is not actually the main differentiator.

.......So there must be at least two different standards of Plug-It and 110V is not actually the main differentiator.

I think you will find that here in the UK there are only 2 types.....The 240v lead and the 110v lead......Perhaps some of the pictures used are just generic photos rather than the actual lead itself...?

It has to be asked,....but why did you buy a 110v lead and not a 240v lead...?
I'm assuming that they would both be the same price,....perhaps the 110v lead may well be more expensive if it came/ comes with the 110v yellow plug on the end.

Personally, I wouldn't feel happy modifying the DF500 to suit the lead as Festool UK would void any warranty the machine may have and would probably refuse to even offer a repair on it if the warranty has expired.

Can you not contact the vendor and see if they would be willing to send you a 240v lead if you were willing to cover the cost of postage for the return of the 110v lead and the cost of postage for the 240v lead....?

Edit.
You used to be able to buy a replacement tool end for a Plug It lead as the plugs dont last forever with regular connecting & disconnecting, but I think they stopped selling them some years back.

It has to be asked,....but why did you buy a 110v lead and not a 240v lead...?
I'm assuming that they would both be the same price,....perhaps the 110v lead may well be more expensive if it came/ comes with the 110v yellow plug on the end.
The cable I purchased on ebay (second hand) was half the price of the new one.
Pictures of 110V products on the Internet led me to believe that the tool side of the cable is the same on 110V and 240V cables, so I was going to cut the yellow 100V plug and replace it with the normal UK 240V one.

Personally, I wouldn't feel happy modifying the DF500 to suit the lead as Festool UK would void any warranty the machine may have and would probably refuse to even offer a repair on it if the warranty has expired.
Same here. I am looking for advice to modify the connector on the cable to fit the tool, not planning to butcher the tool side.

Can you not contact the vendor and see if they would be willing to send you a 240v lead if you were willing to cover the cost of postage for the return of the 110v lead and the cost of postage for the 240v lead....?
It was ebay "no return" and the price reflected the risk.

You used to be able to buy a replacement tool end for a Plug It lead as the plugs dont last forever with regular connecting & disconnecting, but I think they stopped selling them some years back.

Still can:

festool.jpg

Or were you referring to the one with a tail - Part 491144 - that does indeed seem to have disappeared.

Last edited:
.....I was referring to the plug on the end of the lead,.....not the socket part which is part of the tool! ....I'm pretty sure, you used to be able to buy just the Male plug, without the lead and then just cut off the faulty plug and wire on a new one.

I have, quite a few years ago now, purchased a couple of the 491144 short Pig Tail leads to convert a couple of non Festool tools to be compatible with the Male Plug It lead, but as you say, it also seems to have been pulled from the market.

Last edited:
They are £29 on eBay list the wrong one in the for sale section and chalk up the loss with all the other stuff we buy and chuck under the bench 🤔

I have, quite a few years ago now, purchased a couple of the 491144 short Pig Tail leads to convert a couple of non Festool tools to be compatible with the Male Plug It lead, but as you say, it also seems to have been pulled from the market.

As you say, they are now gone. The new way of doing it is to use one of the pieces linked above and a 3DP housing:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254724446685
https://www.printables.com/model/335607-festool-plug-it-adapter-conversion

I have the opposite problem with Festool Cables. I now have four of them now but only ever use one of them. It’s always connected between the vac and the tool I’m currently using. In some ways them providing one with each tool is a bit wasted.

I have the opposite problem with Festool Cables. I now have four of them now but only ever use one of them. It’s always connected between the vac and the tool I’m currently using. In some ways them providing one with each tool is a bit wasted.

I actually feel the same about Systainers, it would be nice if they did basic models of some tools giving you the option to buy them without a Systainer or plug it lead for say £30 less.

I know what you mean Paul!.....I have a couple of Festool tools that are used extensively and both the PlugIt leads that came with the tools have never, ever been used.

I have a boom system connected to my CT dust extractor and it has a really long Plug It lead with the hose.....I tend to use it rather than the leads that comes with the tools.

As you say, they are now gone. The new way of doing it is to use one of the pieces linked above and a 3DP housing:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254724446685
https://www.printables.com/model/335607-festool-plug-it-adapter-conversion
I made a DIY version of this long before I ever became aware of Festool. I used Hirschmann plugs that are (much) slimmer than Festool plug-its and neutriks. I shortened the power cords of a few tools to just a few inches and fitted the inline plugs.

Eventually I got tired of even my super slim plugs hanging off the back of the tool and always catching on the edge of the bench or the sheet I was working on. I put long rubber flexes back into all the tools I'd adapted. It seems a good idea but it doesn't work in practice. Fitting an extra long, high quality rubber flex to a tool that doesn't have one on the other hand IS an upgrade and I've never reversed that mod.

I worked in old buildings with inadequate numbers of sockets so put 15'+ leads on everything. I got used to putting cable ties on every tool after use after spending the better part of an hour one morning untangling the leads of seven power tools. I tried flat connectors close to the tool but I too got fed up with them catching on benches sheet goods etc. and took them off again.

Back