Festool Domino DF500 connectors for a kids bed?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baball

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm bidding on the commission to make some new beds for the kids. They will be quite simple and quick single beds. I want to use some knock down fixings to attach the head and foot, and wondered if the connectors for my df500 would be OK to use? Probably with two connectors and one domino or one connector and two dominoes at the end of each rail.

I've seen it recommended on the FOG to not use the 500 connectors on a bed, but they were referring to bigger beds intended for adults. Although these beds are for the kids it makes sense that they should be able to take the weight of an adult and therefore the recommendation would still apply.

Is using the connectors for the 500 a bad idea, or am I destined to be getting a 700 soon? I know I could use bed bolts but liked the idea of the domino connectors as a very quick solution, and while I could just about justify the 700 for some future projects, I would rather not get it now.

Last edited:
Don't. I repaired a bunk bed (bed over desk) for a 7 year old boy using these. Him jumping up and down on the bed knackered the joints in no time and I ended up with seriously robust metal fittings.

Kids bounce around on beds as do adults but in a different way;);),if they are not recommended then maybe it would be better to play it safe and use another method:)

The weight of argument is increasingly on the side of not using them! I'm wondering if anyone has any experience of having tried it and can give a "I've used them and they were great" or a "I've used them and they were a disaster".

Don't. I repaired a bunk bed (bed over desk) for a 7 year old boy using these. Him jumping up and down on the bed knackered the joints in no time and I ended up with seriously robust metal fittings.
And there it is :). That's decided then.

So now off to work out if I can avoid the temptation to get the 700.

Use a pair of dowels or Dominos at each joint as locators, and a large-headed M8 screw with a barrel nut as the connector. If the rails are deep enough.

Having only recently joined, a bit late for this post.
I have used bed frame "knock down" connectors from Hafele, on all our oak double beds, with complete success! These fittings make moving them easy.
I won't say the same about the king size mattresses (why do they rarely put handles on them these days!).
They list a wide range of bed fittings, including several versions of the brackets.
Hafele are my goto company for all cabinet making, joinery supplies and architectural supplies. Well worth having a trade account.
My only complaint ever has been inadequate packaging on metal kitchen drawer sides, which they replaced promptly.
Currently free delivery for a £50 spend.
Just in case you are wondering, I have no connection with Hafele!

Axminster used to market beefy brass dowels held with a captive bolt but I think they dropped them. It's not too difficult to get 20 mm or 25 mm brass rod and make them yourself.

I have used bed frame "knock down" connectors from Hafele, on all our oak double beds, with complete success! These fittings make moving them easy.
Great suggestion, thanks!
Which ones do you recommend?

Last edited:
The Hafele ones I have used are available in two heights 100mm or 130mm. I will attach the illustration along with part no. (100mm version).

Attachments

• Bed fitting 271.03.511.jpg
    Bed fitting 271.03.511.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 0
Kids bounce around on beds as do adults but in a different way;);),if they are not recommended then maybe it would be better to play it safe and use another method:)
Can you explain the adults bit as I don't recollect that ever happening...?!

Latest posts

Back