Domino connector system with 17mm ply

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpmczak

Reaction score
Anybody used the Festool domino connector system with 17mm ply? First time I've used this system - ordered 18mm ply (min thickness for the connector system according to Festool) but the actual ply is around 17.2mm, which I'm not best pleased about. I accept there is going to be some tolerance but seems a bit much.

Having not used this system before, I'm concerned that I have to drill to a depth of 15mm as part of the connector system, leaving only 2mm material. I have done a test hole on an offcut and seems OK but is there a danger that the panel could blow out when putting it together? It's a bookcase that I'm building for a customer, which will be shipped fully constructed but I wanted to make it knock-down so customer could take it apart if he wished.

Or am I just over-thinking it and should just crack on?

Thanks

I built a craft desk to go in our attic from nominal 18mm ply. I've just held a ruler against the edge of a side panel at it is not much over 17mm. It had to be knock-down so that I could get it up the narrow stairs to our attic room. It worked very well. I don't envisage much chance of blow out on assembly as the way the fixings operate the 'peg' that is inserted into the face of a panel is then pulled toward the edge of the other panel when you tighten the fixing.

Once installed it has been really solid and I am very impressed with the domino connectors.

AtticDesk01 - Copy.jpg

AtticDesk02 - Copy.jpg

That's great to know, thanks pulleyt. I do have a tendancy to worry over fractions of a mm, and this was made worse as I'm using a new technique I have no experience of.

I think I was a bit thrown this morning when the ply arrived as I've used a fair bit of 18mm birch ply in the past, but it's always been a tad over 18mm, so I wasn't expecting it so far under.

Guess I will crack on tomorrow and hope for the best.

Desk looks great, by the way.

I’ve used them on 18 and I suspect that was a bit under. The thing to watch for is boring in the hole for the locking screw. Don’t push down too hard or else add a thin shim/washer to the drill collar or you might find it cuts through or at least very close to the surface. The holes don’t actually need to be cut as deep as the tool is set up for.

Back