just spotted

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dchenard":22rggfw8 said:
And I would NEVER attempt tweaking a straightedge...

But do you ever check it? It isn't that hard. Conceptually they are pretty easy to make, too (though look like a lot of work). They do go off after a while, especially if used around the shop. The point I was making is that you check your planes, chisels, squares, etc; probably most tools in the shop. A pair of winding sticks is pretty minor and easy to check too.

Paul Kierstead":27qldiuj said:
dchenard":27qldiuj said:
And I would NEVER attempt tweaking a straightedge...

But do you ever check it? It isn't that hard. Conceptually they are pretty easy to make, too (though look like a lot of work). They do go off after a while, especially if used around the shop. The point I was making is that you check your planes, chisels, squares, etc; probably most tools in the shop. A pair of winding sticks is pretty minor and easy to check too.

No, I don't check the straightedge beyond having it done when I unpacked the tool. Then it's a matter of using and storing it properly. We're talking here about a steel straightedge guaranteed to be precise to 0.001" over its length (and stay that way), not a homemade one.

Same for chisels, planes and squares, beyond keeping the blade sharp (not the squares, obviously :roll: ) I buy quality stuff, check it upon reception to make sure there are no defects, and that's it. I had to get my LN 60 1/2 exchanged because of improper milling. The new one is up to spec, and I won't check it anymore.

I prefer to play with wood more than fettling tools. Do differently if that's your preference...

DC

Paul Kierstead":1cucwge8 said:
dchenard":1cucwge8 said:
We're talking here about a steel straightedge guaranteed to be precise to 0.001" over its length (and stay that way), not a homemade one.

Show me the one guranteed to stay that way.

If it's made precisely, the steel is stress-relieved, and you don't bang it around in your shop, it will stay straight, as far as I know. But I haven't seen a written warranty. If you have references on the subject I'd be glad to read them.

Meanwhile I don't think I'll lose sleep over my straightedge...

DC

the Aussie board has some good ones too.....'course you have to stand on your head to see 'em properly....

Upsidedown.jpg

Just couldn't let this one go by Rob! :lol:

Regards from Perth

Derek

dchenard":2he64qss said:
Cheaper, that's only if you don't value your time... I do for mine, so I bought the LV sticks. You wouldnt believe who I had to convince that it was a good buy... :shock:

DC

I do value my time. But I go to the shop to enjoy myself. Any shop time is good time. So my time-money viewpoint is very different to someone who's trying to make their own fitted kitchen, or a pro trying to earn a living.

BugBear

Hang in there DC & Philly!
I was going to buy these but allowed myself to get shamed into Galooting them. I haven't finished yet. By the time you saw the sticks to size, plane them to shape, make the ebony and dogwood (no ivory or holly on hand) inlays, mortice for the inlays, glue them in, plane everything flush and apply finish, the LV sticks look like a real bargain. :roll:
In the meantime, I'm still using pieces of aluminum angle.

Roger Nixon":js81a5fc said:
In the meantime, I'm still using pieces of aluminum angle.
Well, erm, the LV sticks aren't exactly much of a step up from alu angle really, are they? 8-[

Derek's message is making me think it's a good thing Leonardo Da Vinci wasn't Australian as well as a genius. Backwards and upside down would have been a bit much... :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Back