Poor quality from ManoMano

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhossydd

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently ordered a "Precision Mortising Jig and 2 in 1 Loose Tenon Woodworking Punch Locator" from ManoMano.com There are several 'dealers' selling this product on the site at various similar prices.
It appears from the photos on the site to be a reasonable copy of the Woodpecker 'Morty', an interesting American loose mortice tenon jig that's absurdly expensive and unavailable in the UK. The product on Mano Mano (it's also on some other sites too) looked to be a Chinese cheap copy, made of similar materials (the ad states Aluminium) and with a few less features, so quite possibly a bargain basement version that could do the job nicely with a little fettling. As I've had good experience with lots of cheap Chinese bits like this I didn't think it much of a risk.
What's turned up doesn't match the photos on the site and is frankly rubbish, plastic not metal, parts missing and unusable. Now the fun of getting a refund from ManoMano...

Don't risk it

Had a look at it on this link:
https://www.manomano.co.uk/p/precis...oodworking-punch-locator-75620650#description
and yes, it looks like a well made copy. If you look at the product details, it clearly states this:

Our products are made of aluminum alloy, with reliable and rust-free service life. Color: redMaterial: aluminum alloy

and the site also promises a 14 day return, so i think you'll be alright getting that refund.

Good to know
Return within 14 days

Saw the ManoMano site a while back, and (also based on the pricing vs even other cheap competitors) it triggered my scam "spidey-sense"; so one I suspect to be avoided.

Stable door and the horse - but ManoMano should be avoided at all costs IME - bait & switch, poor quality, high prices etc.

Had a look at it on this link:
https://www.manomano.co.uk/p/precis...oodworking-punch-locator-75620650#description
and yes, it looks like a well made copy. If you look at the product details, it clearly states this:

Our products are made of aluminum alloy, with reliable and rust-free service life. Color: redMaterial: aluminum alloy

and the site also promises a 14 day return, so i think you'll be alright getting that refund.

Good to know
Return within 14 days
This is an example of how tricky it is to deal with ManoMano. The link you've posted isn't the same seller that I bought from, some of the description details are subtly different and my ad offered a 30 day return period.
I've got the original ad saved on my hard drive.

FWIW it also looks like some of the photos might be stolen from Woodpecker's site and their branding edited off the product.

Perhaps its just me but reading the description in the link above I was left feeling not entirely sure what parts I would actually be getting, dodgy Chinglish and a complex description left me feeling a bit confused, earlier today I found myself looking at a router plate and lift on one of those Banggood type sites and found the same problem, rather complicated description with odd exclusions,,so I gave it up.
Steve.

Just received a notification that they'll give a full refund and not to bother returning it.
Assuming the refund happens it seems a fair outcome.

"reading the description in the link above I was left feeling not entirely sure what parts I would actually be getting, dodgy Chinglish and a complex description left me feeling a bit confused"
Indeed, the same for a lot of this cheap Chinese kit from the portal sellers.
It's important to only press 'buy now' when you're reasonably sure of what you might get or risk loosing. I've got some really good cheap kit in the past and this won't put me off ordering other bits. I doubt I'd buy big electro mechanical kit direct, just too much financial and warranty risk.

I recently ordered a "Precision Mortising Jig and 2 in 1 Loose Tenon Woodworking Punch Locator"

Lets say looks can be deceiving, this one from Boloniya for £23

1700903228863.png

or this one by Woodpeckers for £389

1700903315077.png
The question is are they from the same factory, one without any branding or is one a clone in which case without handling them you have no idea about the quality of the clone but only the good reputation of Woodpeckers. You could also think that the top image is just a digitally edited version of the woodpeckers picture, considering the position of the chuck key then highly likely. But as a potential customer how or would you proceed ? Can the clone really be as good as the Woodpeckers version for just £23 or does it have the looks but not the quality or precision. When you read some of the reviews the pictures do not always reflect the actual product, here you think you are getting metal but get plastic. Maybe @Peter Sefton can shed some light on this ! Thinking of the OP's situation this is where buying from a reputable outlet with knowledge of the products can be worth paying the extra for, going for bargain basement does not always work.

Having captured the two pictures in a graphics program and massively enlarged them it does appear that the pictures are one and the same with the Woodpecker brand edited out - the exact same pattern on pixels on some of the detail is a giveaway.

... I have to say that I never cease to be amazed at the prices that Woodpecker poducts have - yes they R&D but manufacturing is relatively simple for volume production.

This is the link to the Amazon product, you get a 5% discount if you buy 5 !
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Woodworkin...5&psc=1&mcid=6490cb94276f3905955567343535e526Does anyone have one and if so how realistic is the image ?
Did you read the review ?
"1.0 out of 5 stars Not fit for purpose
Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 6 March 2023
Colour Name: Red Verified Purchase
Base and top made of cheap plastic, not metal alloys as described. No instructions provided. Locking screws have nothing to lock into therefore sliding clamp doesn’t hold."

With a review like that it's certainly not worth bothering with, you're forewarned.

Thinking of the OP's situation this is where buying from a reputable outlet with knowledge of the products can be worth paying the extra for, going for bargain basement does not always work.
Assuming I get the promised refund, it won't have cost me any more than a few minutes of my time.

The original American item is $640 add shipping, import duty and VAT and it becomes ABSURDLY expensive. Looking at it there really is no reason it should cost anything like that.

I got some quick release rail clamps from one of the Chinese portals a few years back. Identical to the one that Axminster sell, almost identical to Festool ones, but a quarter of the price. If you're paying via a credit card there's very little risk when purchasing from any of the major portals, you just don't get fancy packaging and might have to wait a while for delivery, but quality can be very high.

but quality can be very high
This is what I have said before, russian roulette to pick the quality items from the chaff. Yes the reviews can be dire but you also get fake reviews so it is really buyer beware. The problem I find more and more of these days is that you end up spending more and more time fixing issues rather than getting a job done, this can be in woodworking, tyring to source components or with software.

Did you read the review ?
"1.0 out of 5 stars Not fit for purpose
Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 6 March 2023
Colour Name: Red Verified Purchase
Base and top made of cheap plastic, not metal alloys as described. No instructions provided. Locking screws have nothing to lock into therefore sliding clamp doesn’t hold."

With a review like that it's certainly not worth bothering with, you're forewarned.

In the spec it come with "1 x hole opener" ?? - I wonder if that's the chuck key?

There is an identical tool on Banggood for about £50 - with 80+% 5 star reviews - it says it's aluminium allow and it looks it from the threaded holes in the pictures.

In the spec it come with "1 x hole opener" ?? - I wonder if that's the chuck key?

There is an identical tool on Banggood for about £50 - with 80+% 5 star reviews - it says it's aluminium allow and it looks it from the threaded holes in the pictures.
Yes, the dangers of automatic translation ;-)

The photos on Bangood of that item suggests it's description is likely to be correct. Look carefully and you'll notice that the casting for the chuck mount is a different shape to the Woodpecker original. The price seems more credible for something made of metal.

Yes, the dangers of automatic translation ;-)

The photos on Bangood of that item suggests it's description is likely to be correct. Look carefully and you'll notice that the casting for the chuck mount is a different shape to the Woodpecker original. The price seems more credible for something made of metal.
Agreed on the Banggood item - I've got quite a few of their "Woodpecker style products" and they are up to scratch

View attachment 170553

View attachment 170554The question is are they from the same factory, one without any branding or is one a clone in which case without handling them you have no idea about the quality of the clone but only the good reputation of Woodpeckers. You could also think that the top image is just a digitally edited version of the woodpeckers picture, considering the position of the chuck key then highly likely. But as a potential customer how or would you proceed ? Can the clone really be as good as the Woodpeckers version for just £23 or does it have the looks but not the quality or precision. When you read some of the reviews the pictures do not always reflect the actual product, here you think you are getting metal but get plastic. Maybe @Peter Sefton can shed some light on this ! Thinking of the OP's situation this is where buying from a reputable outlet with knowledge of the products can be worth paying the extra for, going for bargain basement does not always work.

One thing for sure is they are not from the same factory, Woodpeckers is designed, developed and manufactured in Ohio USA sadly sounds like these are ripped off in China.

That clearly explains why the higher price, you are paying for the quality you get from the likes of Woodpeckers and for £23 you get some plastic rip off from asia. Thanks @Peter Sefton for confirming Woodpeckers is made in the USA and have reported that advert on Amazon as being misleading with an image taken from Woodpeckers.

View attachment 170553

View attachment 170554The question is are they from the same factory, one without any branding or is one a clone in which case without handling them you have no idea about the quality of the clone but only the good reputation of Woodpeckers. You could also think that the top image is just a digitally edited version of the woodpeckers picture, considering the position of the chuck key then highly likely. But as a potential customer how or would you proceed ? Can the clone really be as good as the Woodpeckers version for just £23 or does it have the looks but not the quality or precision. When you read some of the reviews the pictures do not always reflect the actual product, here you think you are getting metal but get plastic. Maybe @Peter Sefton can shed some light on this ! Thinking of the OP's situation this is where buying from a reputable outlet with knowledge of the products can be worth paying the extra for, going for bargain basement does not always work.
Appropriate name for a load of 'Bolon(ny)ia! :unsure: :cool:

That clearly explains why the higher price, you are paying for the quality you get from the likes of Woodpeckers and for £23 you get some plastic rip off from asia. Thanks @Peter Sefton for confirming Woodpeckers is made in the USA and have reported that advert on Amazon as being misleading with an image taken from Woodpeckers.
Good luck with that. I reported a false, misleading description two years ago, and others have since and it's still there.

Back