My dust extractor no longer works as it used to.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a twin motor Record, I think, green extractor. It is now 30 years old and despite cleaning the filter and emptying the shavings it doesn't seem to work as it used to. It makes all the right noises, but shavings from my Kity planer/thicknesser go everywhere. I have lowered the system which was at ceiling height, and now the flexible 4" hose goes along the floor to the extractor.
Do I just need a new one? or am I making a schoolboy error?

Silly question, but are you sure both motors are running?

Put new filters in , Cleaning filters very rearly works , I use a nilfisk shop vac with a back flush button that is suposted to clean the filter , Does it , Not in my opinion, The filters are not expensive , Give it a go .
As said also make sure both motors are running and also check the vacuum fans are tight on the shaft and not slipping. Also check for any splits / air leaks in the hoses .Hope you get it sorted soon . Any blockages in the P/T ?

Last edited:
A couple of suggestions;first of all look very carefully all the way along your flexible hose as long periods of use will tend to wear small holes in the minor diameter corrugations and the inertia of the particles will also hit the outside of any curves quite hard with the attendant wear.The hose ,when in good repair can only flow as well as the weakest link in the system and years of use can lead to the porous cloth bags becoming clogged with superfine particles.Turning them inside out for a good walloping may help a bit,so may putting them in the washing machine-when domestic management are well out of the way.One other thing that can happen if you work with a lot of resinous pine is that a build up of gum close to the cutter block will attract dust and eventually it will reduce the effective diameter of the extractor duct.Scraping and then wiping with white spirit can remove it,but dry it before use.

I have now found this again - I have had trouble navigating the site, and my email address was not my current one.
I washed the cloth filter bag and the extractor works as it did originally. Thank you to all for your suggestions.
L

Back