just spotted

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tombo

Established Member
Reaction score
a big version of rob's avatar is now on the lee valley web site, pull shave looks fun to use but i am a long way from trying to build a chair.

Tom

Apropos of nothing at all...a box was sent to the UK yesterday, with some odds and ends for the UK workshop get together..... :wink:

Cheers -

Rob

bugbear":1096ng3t said:
tombo":1096ng3t said:
a big version of rob's avatar is now on the lee valley web site, pull shave looks fun to use but i am a long way from trying to build a chair.

Tom

Looks like LV are going for a full set o' chair tools.

Even a chair scraper
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx ... at=51&ap=1

Although of course a shop made one is nicer, more personal and cheaper:
http://www.cornishworkshop.co.uk/scraper.html

Bit like winding sticks :)

BugBear

Cheaper, that's only if you don't value your time... I do for mine, so I bought the LV sticks. You wouldnt believe who I had to convince that it was a good buy... :shock:

DC

Alf,
Well you see, I needed to make the "free postage" limit from Axminster...... :whistle:
Ducking and running,
Philly :D

dchenard":2yol4hw0 said:
Cheaper, that's only if you don't value your time... I do for mine, so I bought the LV sticks. You wouldnt believe who I had to convince that it was a good buy... :shock:

Ah, c'mon, it takes longer to drive to the store and back then it takes to make a set. Set TS fence. Saw. Saw. Put togather in vise. Plane togather. Done. What, 3 min? If you want to be fancy, drill a shallow hole and place in a magnet so they stay togather. Another couple of minutes.

Philly":2f2ejkzj said:
Alf,
Well you see, I needed to make the "free postage" limit from Axminster...... :whistle:
Ducking and running,
Philly :D
Yeah, yeah... Got the same problem myself at the mo'; only £40 to go... Must not buy classic reprints, must not buy classic reprints, must not buy classic reprints 8-[

Reckon even I could finish a whole project in the time it'd take me to drive to a Lee Valley store to buy some, Paul. :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Rob Lee":2l179495 said:
Alf":2l179495 said:
Philly":2l179495 said:
I was sold with the way they slide into each other. :roll:
Philly, tell me you didn't... :shock: #-o

Don't blame me... I tried tried talking all of you out of it...

DC was Christmas eve, if I recall correctly...

Rob

You don't need to recall it, you can check in your system :) But I told you in March, if I recall correctly...

However you may have to scroll down the list a bit to find it, I purchased a few things since then :shock:

DC

Paul Kierstead":b7tyzhau said:
dchenard":b7tyzhau said:

Ah, c'mon, it takes longer to drive to the store and back then it takes to make a set. Set TS fence. Saw. Saw. Put togather in vise. Plane togather. Done. What, 3 min? If you want to be fancy, drill a shallow hole and place in a magnet so they stay togather. Another couple of minutes.

You haven't seen me drive :lol:

My philosophy is that I shouldn't have to tinker with a tool when I need to use it. Sure it only takes a few minutes to whip out a set, but six months, two years down the road, will they still be true? I don't know, maybe yes maybe no. This means that I'll have to check my sticks every time I need them.

With the Veritas set, they're true from the beginning, and five, ten years down the road they will still be true, unless one uses his/her sticks to pull nails and open paint cans :shock:

Not having to worry about your tools is worth a lot. It keeps one concentrated on the job at hand, without interruptions that can break your concentration and lead to mistakes...

DC

dchenard":2zp9hnfj said:
unless one uses his/her sticks to pull nails and open paint cans :shock:
Don't think that feature was designed in, was it... :-k

dchenard":2zp9hnfj said:
Not having to worry about your tools is worth a lot. It keeps one concentrated on the job at hand, without interruptions that can break your concentration and lead to mistakes...
That's very true. With good tools I found I could concentrate on making a perfect skew dovetail and have over-confidence enough left over to totally fail to allow for the compund angle involved. #-o With poor tools I'd have probably had a badly fitting poorly executed joint. :oops: But seriously, it is true. Being able to rely on the tools is a big, big help.

Cheers Alf

Alf":3bovlrgq said:
dchenard":3bovlrgq said:
unless one uses his/her sticks to pull nails and open paint cans :shock:
Don't think that feature was designed in, was it... :-k

dchenard":3bovlrgq said:
That's very true. With good tools I found I could concentrate on making a perfect skew dovetail and have over-confidence enough left over to totally fail to allow for the compund angle involved. #-o With poor tools I'd have probably had a badly fitting poorly executed joint. :oops: But seriously, it is true. Being able to rely on the tools is a big, big help.

Cheers Alf

Hey Alf, where do you get your emoticons? They're quite funny...

DC

In the "post a reply window", on the left hit "View more Emoticons" and a pop-up window should open with a selection for your emotion-conveying pleasure. You may need to scroll the window, or better still enlarge it.

Cheers, Alf

Smilie junkie 8-[

Alf":jkhfydsl said:
In the "post a reply window", on the left hit "View more Emoticons" and a pop-up window should open with a selection for your emotion-conveying pleasure. You may need to scroll the window, or better still enlarge it.

Cheers, Alf

Smilie junkie 8-[

The Aussie board has some good ones too.....'course you have to stand on your head to see 'em properly....

:lol: ](*,)

The Aussie board has some good ones too.....'course you have to stand on your head to see 'em properly....

:lol: ](*,)[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: ..........

I

dchenard":8xlastwk said:
With the Veritas set, they're true from the beginning, and five, ten years down the road they will still be true, unless one uses his/her sticks to pull nails and open paint cans :shock:

DC

Ah, I think you are working hard at justification. Pretty much every tool in the shop needs checking and tweaking, even straight-edges. It takes literally seconds (like 5) to check, and very few more to fix. Now if ya like 'em, that is ok, but to say they save time ... well, c'mon. Seriously, there is no simpler tool in the shop, to make or maintain. Even a glue caul can be more difficult then a pair of winding sticks if you want one with a nice bow.

Alf":2kt8k9d8 said:

Cheers, Alf

Smilie junkie 8-[

Thanks Alf! :eek:ccasion5:

DC

Paul Kierstead":kgrk9b1x said:
dchenard":kgrk9b1x said:

DC

Ah, I think you are working hard at justification. Pretty much every tool in the shop needs checking and tweaking, even straight-edges. It takes literally seconds (like 5) to check, and very few more to fix. Now if ya like 'em, that is ok, but to say they save time ... well, c'mon. Seriously, there is no simpler tool in the shop, to make or maintain. Even a glue caul can be more difficult then a pair of winding sticks if you want one with a nice bow.

Are you a psychologist also? So many talents... =D>

Back