Joining Timber floor with tile wall?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrDavidRoberts

Established Member
Reaction score
Was about to do flooring in my bathroom however got in a dilemma about how to actually do it,
At first I wanted to butt-join the flooring straight up with tile and seal with colour matched silicon beading to cover the small gap and to make it a bit waterproof between the 2 surfaces.
The flooring is 20mm lacquered oak so hopefully will be ok with an occasional splash of water from the wetroom area if wiped off afterwards.
However since it's a 20mm oak it's bound to have some movement so It really wouldn't be probably wise to butt-join it with a tile specially with the wetroom tray where the massive forces from the seasonal movement can possibly compromise my wet-room cubicle? Ideally just for the sake of the good looks I would want to butt-join it with the tiled shower cubicle and leave a larger expansion gap at the other end of the room where I could cover it up better,however my common sense says not to do it, what options do I have here?
Leaving a proper 8-10mm expansion gap and covering with a strip of small beading? Not the look I would really want...
How would the pros here do it?

pic:
vjvZjuO.jpg

Kadushu":1niukoxe said:
When I did it I let the wooden floor under the tiles. I'm only an amateur though.
Yes that would probably have been the right way to do it, however I'm just an amateur as well and that was my first time tiling so I kinda 'forgot' about it
, actually I think I wanted to achieve the best possible tile finish without the flooring being there and getting in my way.

You'll certainly need at least a ten millimetre expansion gap around the oak. Personally I'd warn against the solid oak flooring in an area that is going to be subject to such humidity changes though. I've seen a few people recently install floor tiles that looked like timber floor boards. Just my"two cents".

Have a look at Schluter products, they do all sorts of expansion profiles.

more to worry about expansion across the board than along, would have been better with an engineered board but you have it now, i would look into profiles because sooner or later the seal is going to break with movement water is going to get down the side and its going discolour the flooring badly.

make sure to seal all the edges of the boards that may help a bit

Latest posts

Back