Wood floor + expansion gap around irregular shape/fireplace

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mjward

Established Member
Reaction score
Have a c15mm expansion gap for new herringbone flooring going around a fireplace and curious to know how these are dealt with. Obviously for the rest of the room, the skirting covers the gap, so how is it covered in these situations?

Was wondering if I filled the gap with a flexible (oak coloured) wood floor sealant, would that allow enough movement for expansion? I feel that would be the easiest/best looking combo but only if it doesn't negate the point of the gap.

Secondly, I was looking at maybe using cork strips or even a liquid spray cork, the manufacturers I've looked at claim it allows for expansion, but not sure it would look that good.

The third option would be to create a trim border covering the gap, but the fireplace has enough detail to make it slightly beyond my comfort zone to create one that looks good. Below is a rough mock up but because I've not got the skills yet to template it tight to the fireplace various edges, I would still need some sort of filler for the top

20230302_163150.jpg

Just throwing another option into the mix... You could put in a faux wooden hearth. Just some 20mm oak boards running across the fireplace and coming out a couple of inches so you have enough wood to cut the shape of the fireplace surround into it.
It would just float above your floor covering the gaps.
might be easier than trying to cut tiny bits of trim. Easy enough to make a cardboard template that fits exactly to cut out your board. I probably wouldn't even fix it to the floor so you could always remove it if you didn't like it.

Just throwing another option into the mix... You could put in a faux wooden hearth. Just some 20mm oak boards running across the fireplace and coming out a couple of inches so you have enough wood to cut the shape of the fireplace surround into it.
It would just float above your floor covering the gaps.
might be easier than trying to cut tiny bits of trim. Easy enough to make a cardboard template that fits exactly to cut out your board. I probably wouldn't even fix it to the floor so you could always remove it if you didn't like it.
ooh that's good idea, will be a lot easier to template although it does introduce a trip/stub toe hazard unless I make it only just wide enough to cover the gaps perhaps. Definitely one to consider thank you

yeah entirely up to you how far you'd want it to come out. Either make it pared back to the minimum you can get away with without it becoming too thin around the cut outs, or make it far enough out to put the obligatory candles/lanterns and pine cones on :)

Again a card template will give a rough idea of which depth you think will look best.

yeah entirely up to you how far you'd want it to come out. Either make it pared back to the minimum you can get away with without it becoming too thin around the cut outs, or make it far enough out to put the obligatory candles/lanterns and pine cones on :)

Again a card template will give a rough idea of which depth you think will look best.
had me giggling at the candles and pine cones! can picture it now :ROFLMAO:

I’ve successfully used cork before between oak flooring & fancy shaped marble hearths, very easy to cut into intricate shapes

Any milage in elevating the fire surround so you can slip the flooring underneath? Depends how much redecorating knock-on might be created.

Any milage in elevating the fire surround so you can slip the flooring underneath? Depends how much redecorating knock-on might be created.
Unfortunately not, too far down the plastering and decorating route but that would certainly have been a nice option

Do you fill the entire gap with cork or leave a small gap at all?

i take it that you're not (never) going to use the fireplace for real? 'Cos if you do... then all that nice woodwork under the grate and the skirting trim will simply burn. Also the skirting covering the bottom of the fireplace surround - is it really necesary? Usually one stops skirting so as to abutt/ajoin that built in skirting/moulding - and thus preserve the full integrity and full appearance/presenation of the surround; and not go within the exisiting fire surround/grate installation? Where the two styles don't match or meet evely either side of the surround then one can angle the new skirting to close in on the surround...

Back