Jet 260 Planer Thicknesser Problem - NOW FIXED!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That readout has really got in the way with what I was thinking of doing.

I wonder how much scope there is for fitting a block say 1/2" thick behind the readout?
i.e. is there enough shaft protruding to still allow the handwheel to grip the shaft adequately.

Sorry to put the pressure on Tom but could you check how much of a gap yours will tolerate.

Bob

hehe, you don't want to know what that delay was for ;)

haha that's very funny Aled. If only. No this was an altogether more uncomfortable situation. I'll say no more on the subject... :lol:

I still think the problem is they have removed the locking lever, which I recon would not be too difficult to retro fit.
The lowering and lifting mech uses bevel gears that will bounce off one another and cause movement, someone said it uses worm drive but from the drawings it's clear it doesn't use.

I can't see what the fuss is about, I have a fox p/t and I managed to get that to cut within 0.1mm over the full width and it will repeat the size all day.
If you want Tom I'll do you a swap? :lol:

Sure, I'll throw in a bandsaw and tablesaw too! ;)

As I said earlier the digital readout will tell you how much it has dropped, I cant see it can be a cure, unless the handel rubs against the readout.

I've e-mailed Jet direct and asked them if they can supply the table locking bits.

I'll update you all once I receive a response.

Cheers

Karl

I've added a review of this machine on the Axi site.

It will be interesting to see if they publish it.

I think it is only fair that prospective purchasers are given the information.

The text I entered was:-

This otherwise excellent machine is let by not having a lock on the thicknessing table. Once the machine has had some use, the table can work itself down thus giving a variable cut. The manufacturers have been made aware but to date (march 2010) are not doing anything about it.
The lock is fitted to the larger models but presumably omitted on grounds of cost. Shame on you Jet.

Bob

Bob you have left out a down in the first sentence, otherwise good move to assess response.

I had some time when daughter had her nap time today. The new knives were set and I took some pics here. The diameter of the shaft that the digi readout fits over is 20mm and the smaller section is 14mm with a flat for the wheel to lock on to.

After setting the new knives and giving everything a brush an dust I turned it on and let it idle for a bit to see if the problem still existed. It does, but it is not as bad. That's probably just because it was idling rather than eating bits of wood. It might also have been because I had the machine a bit further out into the room that normal (so I could get around the back. I also noticed that the pins that hold the fence to it's bracket had worked loose, so I put them back. This problem is definitely enhanced by vibration. But looking at it today, there's no way I can get it off the base on my own. Wedges?

So does the digital readout unit cover all the 20mm section of shaft?

How far can the handwheel be slid back away from the digital readout and yet still allow the set screw to grip the shaft properly.

Bob

grr I was all comfy then ;)

DSC_0738.JPG

yes the digi readout takes up all the 20mm section. I can slide the wheel forward by about 8mm (couldn't get the calipers in there).

OK Thanks Tom and apologies for disturbing you.

I'll need to make an adaptor for machines with the readout as well as the brake mechanism which will fit the standard machines alone.

I might need some measurements of the collar on Karl's machine but we can sort those out later.

I'm off on holiday tomorrow and will get back onto this when I get back.

Then and subject to your approval, I'll ask you to send me the readout unit which will give me a pattern for most of the dimensions I need. In a few days I should be able to return you a kit of parts to evaluate.
Assuming all is well I can then handle requests from others who want a kit for their machine.

How does that sound??

Bob

Sounds absolutely brilliant to me Bob. Thanks very much.

Have a good time.

Back