Jet 260 Planer Thicknesser Problem - NOW FIXED!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom, Bob,
just received the digital read out which the manufacturers sent free of charge and say it will fix the problem.
I thought there might be some engineering change to it to solve the problem, but it is exactly the same as the one in your photos.

Will be interested to see what bob comes up with.

In the meantime I will re email the manufacturers and tell them that this is not a fix, and see if they have a retro fit.......

will let you know what they say

I really don't see how it can be a fix, unless I am affixing it wrong?

It just fits over the shaft and a grub screw secures it so that it can rotate the numbers. There's absolutely nothing about it that would prevent the wheel from moving backwards. I'm surprised that they are essentially trying to fob you off with such a 'solution'. Keep complaining dick, I bet you get a new machine out of it and I'll have to pay Bob to fix mine :roll:

Tom
Could you rig a lock to work on the guide bar running down from the table into the body of the machine(next to the height scale)
Cooksley thicknessers have this.
A quick test with scraps of wood and G clamp would prove whether this works on the Jet
Matt

Had a reply from Brimarc (Jet had forwarded my e-mail onto them) offering me a, you guessed it, digital height gauge.

Actually, not offering it, but suggesting that I contact them if I would like to buy one. :roll:

I've sent a polite e-mail back declining the offer as I don't see it as a fix to the fault, and asking if I could have an answer to my original question of whether the the table locking parts fitted to the 310 are available separately to be retro-fitted to the 260.

I'll let you know when I get a response.

Cheers

Karl

Karl, Tom

Had a reply from the factory today from Tech director, after asking again what he was doing to fix the problem.
He apologises for the delay and says he has passed the problem to the engineering dept.
He says it will take a little time, and to be patient, but they are working on it.

I still have nothing back from Axminster and have to say Nick from Jet has gone quiet on this one.

Seems to be a standard, 'hope it shuts 'em,' up offering the digital read out, doesn't it?
Will keep you informed.
If you need the guys e mail address let me know.

Thanks Dick. Let us know how you get on. I know Nick said he was very busy with shows at the moment and not in the office much. There is probably a limit to mow much Jet UK (Brimarc\Axi) can do. It's a manufacturing fault at the end of the day.

I understand what you are saying Tom, problem is that if I am not mistaken, and I stand to be corrected if I am mistaken, the seller is the responsible party if goods are not not fit for purpose.

I don't know how long the 260 has been on the market, but if it is a recent introduction, say three or four years, then this problem could only just be surfacing, with time and usage.
If this model is sold in the US, I would expect them to get it sorted out ASAP, because of the possible ramifications.
It is also rated as TRADE by axminster, and this should not be happening on a Trade rated M/c.

Do you know if they are they talking about this design fault on American forums?

To stop it walking, try putting a elastic luggage strap from the bottom of the height adjustment wheel, to the bottom edge of the panel below.

You're probably right Dick. I've never owned anything that was expensive enough to make such a fuss about. But I couldn't afford to replace this so whatever happens it needs to be fixed. I'm happy to go with Bob's retrofit invention if it's cheap and quick. I'm all for kicking up a fuss, but I've got no beef with Jet or Axminster. I think it's highly unlikely they will 'recall' all the 260's and I also doubt they would suggest modifying their machines with kit that wasn't designed for them. 'Getting on their case' might help to change the design, but will probably raise the price. I'd be happy to send an email to Jet to 'reinforce' the problem and let them know there's more than one person with the problem. PM me their email addy Dick. Although, if Jet and Axi aren't reading this thread, then they're really out of touch with their customers. This place is basically free marketing and R&D for woodworking companies!

Sawdust Producer":14eykqp1 said:
To stop it walking, try putting a elastic luggage strap from the bottom of the height adjustment wheel, to the bottom edge of the panel below.

That's not a bad idea. To be honest, my initial fix is fine for now. That is, using a small plank of wood between the floor and the wheel and a G-Cramp. But it's not the sort of fix I'd like to do permanently. Despite the 'tolerances' thread, I still want all 40 pieces to be as close to 15mm as possible, or should I say as close to being equal thicknesses.

wizer":ty46r1dz said:
It just fits over the shaft and a grub screw secures it so that it can rotate the numbers. There's absolutely nothing about it that would prevent the wheel from moving backwards. I'm surprised that they are essentially trying to fob you off with such a 'solution'. Keep complaining dick, I bet you get a new machine out of it and I'll have to pay Bob to fix mine :roll:

Hey Tom! I told you that I would not charge you for the mods to try and improve your planer!!!!

After all, you will be being my guinea pig for the design.

pm sent to make the arrangements.

Bob

Just to let you know nothing from Jet engineers yet.
Will wait till next week and re e mail them.
Have you heard anything?

I now have a design for a locking system with optional parts for versions with and without the digital readout.

I expect to start cutting metal over the weekend. If successful, I will be offering kits of parts to forum members.

Watch this space.

Bob

Sorry Bob I haven't got the pic you asked for yet. Are none of the previous ones of any use? I'm at Yandles tomorrow so I'll try to get pics on Sunday.

Thanks for all your help thus far.

dicktimber":bveg1qmi said:
Just to let you know nothing from Jet engineers yet.
Will wait till next week and re e mail them.
Have you heard anything?

I haven't heard anything either DT.

Cheers

Karl

wizer":1jcqkskj said:
Sorry Bob I haven't got the pic you asked for yet. Are none of the previous ones of any use? I'm at Yandles tomorrow so I'll try to get pics on Sunday.

Thanks for all your help thus far.

Don't worry Tom I have got the info I asked you for by other means.

Hope you have a good day at Yandles.

Bob

Back