Japanese Samurai Laminated Plane Blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Edit - Can't see them in the latest catalogue but they used to do them

Jason

The Smoothcut I believe is the same blade as the Samurai.

Do you mean it's exactly the same, or merely very similar technology from 2 different manufcturers?

I have a "smoothcut", and very good it is too. I think at one point Samurai was a trademark used by Roger Buse, an English tool dealer who was very much at the forefront of introduing Japanese tools to the UK in the early 80's.

BugBear

Do you mean it's exactly the same, or merely very similar technology from 2 different manufcturers?

BB

From the dark, dank recesses that constitutes my mind, I have this memory of reading somewhere (this forum perhaps) that they were one and the same blade. Usually my memory is quite good but this is not one of those times that you should use this information as a reference source! :roll:

Regards from Perth

Definite Derek (...maybe)

Colin C":gnnx988a said:
I think Tilgear do them too but iw ill have a look to make sure :)

do they have a website? I can't seem to find it if they do. Is it case of phone up and ask for a catalogue?

thanks

bugbear":s5mfzuow said:
BTW, I think DC's favourite shop "Craftsmans Choice" at http://www.shokunin.co.uk has a "third" brand.

Not "Samurai" (who ever that is/was)

Not "Smoothcut" (which I have)

But "Takumi Okada".

I can't deep link their site, I'm afraid. Look for "kanna ho" in their online shop.

This "may" work:

http://www.shokunin.co.uk/item_details.asp?Stock=SL5804

BugBear (any info, Mr Charlesworth?)

Found the kanna ho, looks good.

I like that website :D Going to order from there sometime this week. Going to get a 60mm kanna ho plane iron, a 6000g waterstone (probably king) and a nagura.

Think I might order a 24mm Oire Nomi chisel to see what they are like.

Cheers

Hi scooby
It looks like Tilgear dont do them any more but you can ring them to make sure and they dont have a web site.
They is No 01707 873434

scooby":21a99d5a said:
http://www.shokunin.co.uk

I like that website :D Going to order from there sometime this week. Going to get a 60mm kanna ho plane iron, a 6000g waterstone (probably king) and a nagura.

Cheers

60mm is 2 3/8" so that's the blade for #4 1/2, #5 1/2, #6, and #7, yeah?

(50mm "only" fits the ever popular #4 and #5)

BugBear

bugbear":1jzw2jlh said:
scooby":1jzw2jlh said:
http://www.shokunin.co.uk

Cheers

60mm is 2 3/8" so that's the blade for #4 1/2, #5 1/2, #6, and #7, yeah?

(50mm "only" fits the ever popular #4 and #5)

BugBear

yep, I've got a 5 1/2 which is in dire need of a decent iron :D

Japanese laminated (blue paper) steel is far superior to the steel Stanley was using and the problem you have when you buy from lie-Nielsien and Clifton is they so thoroughly copied the best selling plane on the market that they used same or similar steel blades, so best option is Japanese laminated steel blade improved cap iron on a old Stanley plane that will out preform any boutique brand out there ones setup right, so stay away from over priced knock off,s like lie-Nielsien Clifton, this is the reason why old Stanley planes are so sort after today because they where the best

Japanese laminated (blue paper) steel is far superior to the steel Stanley was using and the problem you have when you buy from lie-Nielsien and Clifton is they so thoroughly copied the best selling plane on the market that they used same or similar steel blades, so best option is Japanese laminated steel blade improved cap iron on a old Stanley plane that will out preform any boutique brand out there ones setup right, so stay away from over priced knock off,s like lie-Nielsien Clifton, this is the reason why old Stanley planes are so sort after today because they where the best
I can vouch for the quality of the Okada blades; some years ago a tool retailer (I can't remember which) was selling NOS at a good discount, so I bought blades for some of my planes. They are far, far superior to Stanley blades in every way.

Latest posts

Back