Japanese Chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Harbo":22ofbugl said:
......"Aogami Hagane means 'blue steel' and is a more complex steel than Shirogami Hagane or 'white steel'. Blue steel edged tools give the most durable edge possible, particularly in hard abrasive woods...........
Rod

I went through a pile of copies and found a copy from ShopNotes No93, p.50 where they compare white and blue steel:

"Differences. From practical woodworking standpoint the difference between blue steel and white steel is very slight.White steel is said to be a little easier to sharpen. And due to the fineness of the molecular structure, it will take a slightly sharper edge. A tool from blue steel will hold an edge slightly longer than one made from white steel but not indefinitely. It will also be a little less prone to rust.
But be aware that these differences are subtle, and something you may not even notice until spending a fair amount of time using and comparing tools made from both types of tools. It is also important to keep in mind that the type of steel used is only one ingredient in the overall quality of a tool. The skill and experience of the toolmaker is a much more important factor than what color steel is used to make the tool".

mathias":3h69sndj said:
"Differences. From practical woodworking standpoint the difference between blue steel and white steel is very slight........
Seems to be true across the board - makes little difference what the steel is (within reason).

iNewbie":3vqm62xj said:
White Steel or Blue Steel Derek? Thanks.

I would not get too concerned about white vs blue steel. How the smith forges the blades is going to make more of a difference.

Unless you already have bench chisels, the paring chisels (slicks) are for later. Good bench chisels will do double duty if the hoops are set correctly. I cannot emphasise this enough - unset hoops are uncomfortable to hold.

Here is a short comment on my website about the Koyamaichi: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReview ... isels.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

mathias":2qt3pumf said:
As said in the article I quoted, the toolmaker is import. Perhaps even more than to steel he uses?

The Koma chisels Derek recommended come in Blue & White Steel, hence my question to him, him having recommended them. Hope that clears that up.

Thank you Derek.

I have been using the basic Iyoroi white steel chisels for many years and they are excellent. I also have a set of 10 Suminagashi which are pure joy to behold and to use which I confess I don't use every day. They were a present from my indulgent wife. Bought from Classic Hamd Tools they are now 50% more expensive - not sure I'd get them now!

Jim

Latest posts

Back