Hand mitre saw blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bosshogg16

Established Member
Reaction score
I and some of the Men's Shed I run, have set up a new piece of curriculum for kids with special needs, at our local Academy. Due to school/council restrictions the kids and ourselves are not allowed to use any machinery, for some small projects were involved in.
We require replacement blades for some hand mitre saws, that we have donated. Currently these are of the 550 & 600mm variety, standard hardened 14 tpi, variety, and getting the 550 ones is proving rather expensive, re P&P, in particular. Now the thing is I'd much rather replace these with Japanese style blades, knowing how easy these are to pull through timber, I know these are available, but cannot find a supply in the UK. Anyone with any info re this, it would be much appreciated.
The kids, despite being shown, don't seem to have the coordination to push the blade through and make simple cuts, like you and I would be able to master, so the se Japanese style blades should help.
Again I know said Japanese blades are available for these type of saws, as I've seen articles about "hand mitre saws" where they've been mentioned. I've also seen them on sale in America, Australia and others, but not in the UK...can anyone help, please.

Can you please provide links to what you have seen.

I think this is in the style of which you speak, but not available:

I think its part number Nobex Tai 1 (476099) is shown here:

http://www.quickfixmidlands.co.uk/datatables-section/Nobex Blades for Mitre Saws.php?catid=79

They appear to be made in Sweden rather than Japan, so maybe our non-European status has removed them from the market. Everywhere you find them, it says 'discontinued'.

If you just want a pull-action, can you not just reverse the blade in the frame?

Can you please provide links to what you have seen.

I think this is in the style of which you speak, but not available:

I think its part number Nobex Tai 1 (476099) is shown here:

http://www.quickfixmidlands.co.uk/datatables-section/Nobex Blades for Mitre Saws.php?catid=79

They appear to be made in Sweden rather than Japan, so maybe our non-European status has removed them from the market. Everywhere you find them, it says 'discontinued'.

If you just want a pull-action, can you not just reverse the blade in the frame?
No I'm not after a pull action, as the fence which the wood sits against is for push, and as for reversing them, that's correct. These blades can be put on either way, as the keyhole fixings/holes are the same both ends.
So just to clarify, I'm seeking 550 & 600 (overall lengths) Nobex, are often different, as they always quote blade suitability for their model no. and don't necessarily quote the length, and it's important these are correct, to fit the saw.
I've spoken to the gent at Quick Fix Midlands, and he can no longer get them nor point me in the right direction as to acquiring them in the UK. What he did state:." if I could supply these for every enquiry I got, I would be a rich man" he was talking about the Nobex brand of course, which take 565 & 630mm blades respectively, and the 550mm mentioned at the bottom of the list, have been gone for a long time.
No with the above gents statement, looks like there's an opportunity for a UK blade manufacturer, to start making these, say a bandsaw supplier, who imports the steel strip, cuts the teeth and welds them, if they could just get the correct width/thickness of the raw steel strip, cut the Japanese style teeth, and tip harden them, that would be perfection. Failing that, a manufacturer of Japanese hand saws (if there are any in the UK) adapts their blades to suit, and when I think about it the market for this would both supplies of Nobex length blades, and others, such as Draper, Silverline, Stanley, etc...a big market to go for, in retrospect.

No I'm not after a pull action, as the fence which the wood sits against is for push, and as for reversing them, that's correct. These blades can be put on either way, as the keyhole fixings/holes are the same both ends.
I don't claim to be an expert but isn't the defining characteristic of a japanese blade that it is a pull action?

Perhaps i should have referred to them as lance teeth to save you thinking that way, however lance teeth , however close they may be, are not what I seek, so let me expand on my post.
Japanese style tooth designed wood saws are normally used in a pull manner, however that's because the blades are not under tension. Now hand mitre saws, that I talk about, put the blade under tension for use, there fore they can quite easily be used in a push stroke manner...I hope that answers your question.

Perhaps i should have referred to them as lance teeth to save you thinking that way, however lance teeth , however close they may be, are not what I seek, so let me expand on my post.
Japanese style tooth designed wood saws are normally used in a pull manner, however that's because the blades are not under tension. Now hand mitre saws, that I talk about, put the blade under tension for use, there fore they can quite easily be used in a push stroke manner...I hope that answers your question.
i understand that the blade is held under tension, so that somewhat negates the pull function. but I'm now confused by the tooth structure, what are lance teeth if not the teeth on a japanese saw? are they the standard teeth on a mitre saw?

aside from my lack of understanding, you could shoot an email to davenport saws, who may be able to make up something to your needs, I'm told they are very flexible in what they can do, even if the website doesn't mention what you need https://davenportsaws.co.uk/

one poss is to find a length of broken band saw blade and cut into the required lengths - which can then be trimmed and rounded on your grindstone - drill or punch holes at the required point --- doesn't cut quite the same but works fine (I have done this for use in Euro-style frame saw)

...I hope that answers your question.

You state you have seen products on sale elsewhere in the world that meet your requirements.

As yet, you have not provided any pictures of or links to those items.

And then you become exasperated that people are misunderstanding your question.

one poss is to find a length of broken band saw blade and cut into the required lengths - which can then be trimmed and rounded on your grindstone - drill or punch holes at the required point --- doesn't cut quite the same but works fine (I have done this for use in Euro-style frame saw)
I've contemplated this, and indeed posted via a reply, to someone on this site "bentontool, see "Tyzack backsaw heresy" who appears to be a guy who thinks outside the box, and could prove useful in my search, should he answer me.

This sounds as if it is going to be a recurring problem.
Is it possible to change the frame to accept a blade length which is easier to get hold of?
geoff

Unfortunately no, these are metal frame assemblies, and the problem is not just the blade length as all the varieties of these saws in the UK, are largely unsupported, so it's not gesable really.

If the length of the saw blade is an issue - can I ask why that non-standard size is needed?

Is it to fit certain projects into the saw (e.g. box or a wide plank of wood ) or is it just that the saw donated happens to be very large?

I've also seen them on sale in America, Australia and others, but not in the UK...can anyone help, please.

You state you have seen products on sale elsewhere in the world that meet your requirements.

As yet, you have not provided any pictures of or links to those items.
I have to echo ChaiLatte, some links to the blades on the foreign sites would really help to answer your question

If the length of the saw blade is an issue - can I ask why that non-standard size is needed?

Is it to fit certain projects into the saw (e.g. box or a wide plank of wood ) or is it just that the saw donated happens to be very large?
I'm unsure where you the content of your post, I am looking only for 550 & 600mm blades, to fit the 2 style of saws in my possession.

I have to echo ChaiLatte, some links to the blades on the foreign sites would really help to answer your question
Johnwalls26, already posted one of them "Dieter Schmid" site: https://www.fine-tools.com/gestell.html. Wonkee Donkey Tools has a good description (with pics) https://www.wonkeedonkeetools.co.uk/handsaws/what-are-the-parts-of-a-hand-mitre-saw. Hears one site in Ozzyland: https://www.cwsonline.com.au/shop/item/nobex-champion-ikeda-16tpi-japanese-blade (remember Nobex blades do NOT fit the saw frames I have, so I use this only as an analogy) And another: https://www.hobbytools.com.au/brand/nobex/. I could go on but the bottom line is, in the UK there is a gulf in the market, standard crosscut profile blades are available, from a few outlets, but Japanese style blades (ChaiLiatte, please note) are proving imposable to source here in the UK.

I've contemplated this, and indeed posted via a reply, to someone on this site "bentontool, see "Tyzack backsaw heresy" who appears to be a guy who thinks outside the box, and could prove useful in my search, should he answer me.
I replied... please let me know if you need more info.
(and, thanks for the compliment.)

Back