Cars - Form over function

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I rented a VW Golf last week and I couldn't figure out how to open any door or the boot. The drivers door opened with the fobthing and all luggage and people went in and out through the same front door....what a disaster of a car.

I believe the P position in an automatic car does engage the drive, effectively parking in gear.

If talking form over function, look at the new Kia electric car, looks like it's been delivered by Amazon and is still in it's cardboard box.

My ford Kuga required me to have the clutch depressed before it would start.

Recently the sensor on the clutch developed a fault. The mechanic told me the replacement sensors were different so now I needed to press the clutch and brake pedal before it would start.

What next?

My wife was taught professionally in 1992 - she was taught never to leave a vehicle in gear. From what I gather it's been common practice since.
Not just 'common practice', but required by the Highway Code, Rule 252:

"If you park on a hill you should: park close to the kerb and apply the handbrake firmly. select a forward gear and turn your steering wheel away from the kerb when facing uphill. select reverse gear and turn your steering wheel towards the kerb when facing downhill".

(I wonder how many 'experienced' drivers would pass the Driving Theory Test?)

Anyone who is curious can have a go free of charge.

https://www.gov.uk/take-practice-theory-test

1716535696908.png

In most years, fewer than half who take the theory test pass pass it. A fail in one part means taking both parts again

Last five year's pass rate:
  • 2018/19 - 47.3%
  • 2019/20 - 47.1%
  • 2020/21 - 55.7%
  • 2021/22 - 50.1%
  • 2022/23 - 44.2%
https://www.drivingtheory4all.co.uk/theory-test-pass-mark

Recently the sensor on the clutch developed a fault. The mechanic told me the replacement sensors were different so now I needed to press the clutch and brake pedal before it would start.

What next?
you'll have to rub you head and recite the alphabet :)

thankfully my car doesn't make me do it, although as others I've always started with the clutch engaged. I do have an electric handbrake though which is mostly ok but entirely unneeded as a normal one works perfectly well. I do get driven nuts by the amount of alarms that my car has. Sometimes I want to move the car with the door open so I can lean out and watch where I am when reversing up to a trailer, or sometimes if I just want to push my car on the drive without bothering to start the engine. My car bings so loudly at me to warn me the handbrake it off and the door is open... ahhh I am aware of this!!!

But if I turn my parking sensors off they stay off until I turn them on again, so if I forget after towing a trailer then I can't rely on them warning me of something behind as I might have forgotten to turn it on again. It doesn't reset with an engine restart?!

The worst one though is my car goes into 'economy mode' after 15mins of being off, to save the battery, so you can't use the radio etc. Fine, except when you realise you've left the window open and you literally have to start the engine to roll up the windows!!! If I didn't have much battery power I've now used it all to crank the engine so it can run for 30 secs! Why won't cars let you use the electric windows after the engine is off? I don't understand

What next?
It's good practice to engage the clutch on any manual car while starting because it puts less load on the engine and therefore less strain on the battery.
Please explain this to my sons, also how it is not necessary to change gear as if you are in a low budget martial arts movie

You're preaching to the choir - I can so no reason for doing any other.:)
No reason in the UK I guess. Here in Finland I am told to park in gear without applying the handbrake so the brakes don't freeze on. I have never heard of that actually happening so either everyone does this or it is in old wives' tale. Come to think of it I was told this by my wife and she is ... hold on, let's not go there

It's good practice to engage the clutch on any manual car while starting because it puts less load on the engine and therefore less strain on the battery.
The number of times I have got in the Landrover, turned the key and lurched towards the fence is directly related to the number of times my wife last drove it. I leave it in gear on slopes but not usually on the drive.

Latest posts

Back