January Challenge 2013

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
nev":1tchv32c said:
gregmcateer":1tchv32c said:
nev":1tchv32c said:
3. yes - but only on the lid (cap, cupule, the bit with the stalk sticking out of it!)

Nev,
Sorry to sound like a numpty, but doesn't the stalk stick out of the bottom of an acorn?
Greg

only if you hold it upside down!
The cap and stalk can be textured/carved/coloured/abused but not the nut please. (This way there is at least a part of it that needs to be finished 'cleanly', no hiding of toolmarks etc :wink: )

Hi Nev , great to see you are up and running for 2013 ,hope you have another successful year , send me a PM if I can be of help !!
I see you used the Acorn I made earlier as a demonstration piece , 8) :lol: :p :evil: :mrgreen:
Best of luck .

boysie39":2m4age8t said:
Hi Nev , great to see you are up and running for 2013 ,hope you have another successful year , send me a PM if I can be of help !!
I see you used the Acorn I made earlier as a demonstration piece , 8) :lol: :p :evil: :mrgreen:
Best of luck .

:) cheers Eugene, will do.

heatherw":3ayl5bf2 said:
I would definitely like to have a go at this, tho i've never made a box before so may not make it to the finishing line. There's only one way to learn, .

You are in good company :mrgreen:

I just had a practice with a bit of offcut - I think my acorn came from a tree with Dutch Oak Disease ! :roll:

Hope to have another go in time.

Greg

Well my nut is done and the join to the cup. Just have to finish it now.

my frozen feet couldn't take any more tho so came in !

haven't been in the workshop in ages so really enjoyed it :D

Hi Nev

Still can't sign up, it says

Signing up
Sorry signing up is currently unavailable.

Will it be too late for this month?

Phil

Sheptonphil":3m6874gi said:
Hi Nev

Still can't sign up, it says

Signing up
Sorry signing up is currently unavailable.

Will it be too late for this month?

Phil

Hi Phil
HC is on the case so it will hopefully be sorted soon, but no need to
607b46b77156.gif
. Anyone wanting to make an entry for the challenge - carry on. no need to sign up first, we can all do that once its up an running again.

Mine's half finished and I have to go away for the weekend....aaargh.....maybe I'll have time to finish it on Monday. A bit last minute, but I had to make the legs for the lathe first which has taken all the allotted time this month. So far all I've learnt is how little I know.

For instance, what's the best tool for hollowing out the nut with? The only one I can control is a scraper, but I suspect that counts as cheating.

heatherw":2uo05xwr said:
what's the best tool for hollowing out the nut with? The only one I can control is a scraper, but I suspect that counts as cheating.

I use a spindle gouge held approximately horizontal with the flute pointing at 10 o'clock; I do finish with a scraper, though.

heatherw":18inq0l5 said:
Mine's half finished and I have to go away for the weekend....aaargh.....maybe I'll have time to finish it on Monday. A bit last minute, but I had to make the legs for the lathe first which has taken all the allotted time this month. So far all I've learnt is how little I know.

For instance, what's the best tool for hollowing out the nut with? The only one I can control is a scraper, but I suspect that counts as cheating.

You could use ...
a spindle gouge as mike has suggested,
or you could even use a forstner drill to remove the bulk of it and then move to the spindle gouge
or you could use just the scraper

nothing wrong with using a scraper :) its just that the a scraper scrapes (and tears) the wood fibres, whereas the spindle gouge cuts them, giving a smoother finish.

Tip: When you've got to the desired shape and depth, sharpen the scraper again and have a final cut as light as you can to clean up a bit.

Gary Morris":18inq0l5 said:
will there be photo's, as I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's nuts

Gary
Oh yes! a new post will be opened on the 27th, see the first post in this thread.

Finished mine too! Chuffed as it is my first ever box (in fact, the first thing I have ever done with some purpose in mind, rather than playing with tools to see what emerges - apart from lots of shavings!). Even remembered to take some photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back