Jacobs chuck problems

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John p

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, i'v been using a jacobs chuck on a dewalt 625 for six month's or more but now i'm having problems locking the chuck. Any one any suggestions ! should the chuck be lupricated ? what with ?

John p":3ealx3w5 said:
Hi, i'v been using a jacobs chuck on a dewalt 625 for six month's or more but now i'm having problems locking the chuck. Any one any suggestions ! should the chuck be lupricated ? what with ?

Have you been drilling masonry with it?

If so flush it with some paraffin to get the grit out then when dried off use light 3 in 1 type oil.

Also check if the chuck is held captive with a Left hand thread screw in it's centre (between the jaws) this sometimes comes loose and jambs the jaws.

EDIT: Sorry Generic "Jacobs Chuck" registers as standard three jaw drill type chuck with me, not one specific to Routers.

This actually a chuck for a router not a drill and only used on a woodrat.
i can lock the chuck with nothing in it but as soon as you place a bit in it weather half inch or quarter it is to tight

I assume the chuck is rated for router speeds as drills tend to turn a lot slower. Is it a keyed or keyless chuck?. A spray of a dry lubricant such as GT 85 may be worth a try. If it has been overtightened then there may be internal damage.

Jason

John,
That chuck was discontinued as several problems emerged in use. Failure to lock properly was one of those problems.

I recommend you do not use it and instead use a PC ELiminator chuck or an Xtreme Xtension (plenty of mention of both on this forum if you use the search facility).

i've had no problems with this till now unlike the Xtreme Xtension which i also have . The Xtreme Xtension suffers from lots of vibration and lots of messing around with long setup times

John,
I get a lot less vibration from the PC Eliminator compared to my XX. It has the same quick change ability for bits as the XX but he chuck is a totall different design.

I had a Jacobs PowerCollet on my DW625 until it started ejecting bits. I decided I didn't want a 1/4" spiral upcut bit stuck in my leg so I opted to remove the PowerCollet. I had to destroy it to get it loose from the router.

I much prefer the Eliminator Chuck. It hasn't vomitted a router bit yet. ;)

Latest posts

Back