Myford keyless chuck

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve22

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all In looking at buying a 1-16mm mt2 Keyless chuck. I’ve seen a myford one and trying to find out if there any good. I’m new to woodworking so don’t know much and I’m disabled and my hands turn 90 degrees outwards from Rheumatoid Arthritis and was thinking keyless might be better. I think they come from rdg tools I can’t afford a lot but was also unsure of all these Chinese ones out there so thought I would ask the expert. Many thanks steve 👨🏼‍🦽

Any Myford labelling on the chuck will be exactly that: labelling. The name is no guarantee of quality, either high or low.

You could try ArcEuroTrade. Their stuff is unashamedly Chinese, but sourced and sold in a curated manner.

If you have mobility issues, it could be worth seeing if the chuck has holes for a pin spanner or bars. Tightening it wil never be a problem, but loosening it might be difficult with a poor grip. A rubber strap wrench could also help if it does not come with holes.

Large holesaws* and keyless chucks do not play well together.

* If we need to put a number on 'large', let us say of greater diameter than the body of the chuck.

Any Myford labelling on the chuck will be exactly that: labelling. The name is no guarantee of quality, either high or low.

You could try ArcEuroTrade. Their stuff is unashamedly Chinese, but sourced and sold in a curated manner.

If you have mobility issues, it could be worth seeing if the chuck has holes for a pin spanner or bars. Tightening it wil never be a problem, but loosening it might be difficult with a poor grip. A rubber strap wrench could also help if it does not come with holes.

* If we need to put a number on 'large', let us say of greater diameter than the body of the chuck.
Hi you lost me on last bit I’m a novice to woodworking i took it up because I like woodworking plus it might help me after my two strokes I’ve had.
I brought the lumberjack variable speed 1-16mm bench drill so I didn’t have to keep changing the belts and I wouldn’t be able to use a keyed chuck when arms size up but will look on amazon and eBay for a chuck with holes for pin spanner or bars and look at arc euro trade as well I’m just looking for an easy one to use and smooth as it can be to help

I’ve attached a photo of chuck hope you might know

Attachments

• IMG_5418.png
    IMG_5418.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Hi you lost me on last bit...

To some extent a keyless chuck is self-tightening. You can insert the drill bit, and snug it up with your hand, not super tight. Then, in use, the mechanics/design of the chuck tend to tighten the chuck, increasing the grip on the bit, stopping it slipping.

That can mean that the force your hand needs to use to tighten the bit is less than the force needed to remove the bit after use. Hence, for undoing only, some mechnical means can be helpful.

The two holes in the one you show are designed for a pin spanner.

The point made above is a good one: loosening a keyless chuck is a two-handed operation. If you do not want the drill bit to fall on the floor, it needs three hands.

Another option might be a standard keyed chuck and get someone to modify the chuck key to a form that enables you to use it (e.g. add a 1/4" hex shank to it so you can use in a cordless impact driver).

Drill bits are widely available with hexagon shanks to fit a quick-change holder. For smaller sizes, that might be an opton if you do not mind sacrificing a little precision.

You can stab a plain shank drill bit into a piece of foam to hold it, which then frees up both hands to operate the chuck. A test tube clamp or giant clothes peg could be used as a third hand to hold the drill bit.

To some extent a keyless chuck is self-tightening. You can insert the drill bit, and snug it up with your hand, not super tight. Then, in use, the mechanics/design of the chuck tend to tighten the chuck, increasing the grip on the bit, stopping it slipping.

That can mean that the force your hand needs to use to tighten the bit is less than the force needed to remove the bit after use. Hence, for undoing only, some mechnical means can be helpful.

The two holes in the one you show are designed for a pin spanner.

The point made above is a good one: loosening a keyless chuck is a two-handed operation. If you do not want the drill bit to fall on the floor, it needs three hands.

Another option might be a standard keyed chuck and get someone to modify the chuck key to a form that enables you to use it (e.g. add a 1/4" hex shank to it so you can use in a cordless impact driver).

Drill bits are widely available with hexagon shanks to fit a quick-change holder. For smaller sizes, that might be an opton if you do not mind sacrificing a little precision.

You can stab a plain shank drill bit into a piece of foam to hold it, which then frees up both hands to operate the chuck. A test tube clamp or giant clothes peg could be used as a third hand to hold the drill bit.
I would agree. They are very good used horizontally on a lathe where the bit is unlikely to just fall out. Less so, in my view anyway, on a vertical like a pillar drill.

I spoke with a guy at myFord over weekend via email and understood what i saying about my hand. He said that keyless wo be easier for me but the One I was looking at is longer than a keyed one which I didn’t know. He said to wait till it gets here to take some measurements to make sure it fits. He did say a lot of other stuff but with my short term memory Ioss I can’t remember.

I would agree. They are very good used horizontally on a lathe where the bit is unlikely to just fall out. Less so, in my view anyway, on a vertical like a pillar drill.
Yes I’m with these comments I have one on my lathe and tend to choose that over the keyed ones which I tend to leave centre drills in ready to go. It’s often as quick to eject and swap chucks than to keep swapping bits.
We considered fitting these keyless chuck lathe to school work shop machines but didn’t as we suspected many of the kids would not have the strength to open them up- could be similar here

I would think it will be easier for you than a keyed type, getting one that can be used with a pin spanner is a good idea. These do tend to be quite stiff at first, I think it is just the oil they use to stop them going rusty solidifies and gums them up in transit. Well worth getting some thin oil into it and working it to and fro a few times before putting it on the machine

Yes I’m with these comments I have one on my lathe and tend to choose that over the keyed ones which I tend to leave centre drills in ready to go. It’s often as quick to eject and swap chucks than to keep swapping bits.
We considered fitting these keyless chuck lathe to school work shop machines but didn’t as we suspected many of the kids would not have the strength to open them up- could be similar here
I’m going to try the keyed chuck first to see how I go for a few weeks if i still have problems myford said get hold of them and we will see what we can come up with. I brought a ratchet type key two different sizes on one key. I did look at a white and blue one had 4 keys on it ratchet style from America but high p&. One I got seems solid with lever for left or right yet to test it but looks ok.

I have a keyless chuck permanently in my Fobco drill - permanently because it kept falling out and I Loctited it in place.
I find it a pain in the neck - I too have arthritis and use a keyed chuck in the lathe. The keyless tends to slip and chew up the drill bits.

Back