Makita Battery Drill Chuck DHP 482

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okeydokey

Established Member
Reaction score
So I quite like these drills - I am a diy user and passed a couple on to my sons a while back.
So I bought one brand new off ebay used it a couple of times then the keyless chuck didn't tighten/loosen but rotated with a clicking noise. So I spoke to Makita Customer help desk very polite friendly and helpful, they send me a returns number and collected by courier, it came back a few days later with no fault found, it cant have been looked at. Spoke to Makita again and they put me through to an engineer who said it sounds as if the chuck lock isn't locking. Said its a chuck fault and chucks aren't covered under their warranty. Later I looked up and this is what it said.
Warranty excludes: Chucks, power leads, service items, filters, and any cleaning of the product.
Ive been busy out all day and will speak to them tomorrow but as far as I am concerned this exclusion is rubbish as imo the sale of goods act or whatever states the goods must be fit for purpose and if there is a fault then the maker must repair replace. Perhaps someone could give me the correct terminology for when I speak to them, I could go back to the ebay seller but would prefer to get Makita to fix it.
Looking at Youtube there is an anticlockwise screw that holds the chuck on and I could buy a chuck and probably fix it myself but thats not the point.
Makita did say that if I posted it to them they would send me a quote to repair
Any help or ideas welcomed please

well, that sucks, but I imagine if it is specifically excluded in the warranty then makita has done its homework and they have the law on there side.

You could try citizens advice or trading standards, but I think you'd be fighting a loosing battle, also worth shooting an email to the seller.

Sadly, much easier and (ultimately cheaper?) to replace the chuck yourself and get on with using the tool

I stopped buying Makita years ago because of dismal customer service.
with the exception of festool, where I think part of the price tag is the expectation of almost instant replacement of a tool under waranty , is there any large manafacturer who do have decent customer services?

A few years ago, there was a thread on here about a Milwaukee drill that had a similar problem - and a similar clause excluding the chuck from the warranty.
The warranty provided by the manufacturer does not override the legal requirement to provide a product fit for purpose for a reasonably expected period of time so I would say you've got a case, but is it worth your time? Only you can decide.
It is also the law that you can claim thro the vendor; worth a try I would say as many eBay vendors are large, reputable outfits.
Duncan

Thanks Duncan
You're on the same line of thought as me. I was trying Makita first as I think they should properly stand by their products but not in this case. I have always liked their drills and hope this is a one off at least I know their stance. It's just not worth getting angry as it's only me that suffers. So I wrote a gentle note to the vendor explaining the problem and hoping I didnt need to start the ebay return process. Had an equally nice reply saying they were out of stock until next Wednesday remind them and they will send me another. So fingers crossed I will get anorher new one and be able to keep the faulty one.
So why are chucks outside the warranty from 2 large manufacturers? Wonder if others are the same

chucks are out of warranty because they are rubbish and made to a price.....
a good chuck can cost as much as the drill.......
I have a great Hitachi drill that thru inertia undoes quite often when shutting off....
now have modified my habit of slowing the drill down before shutting off......

CHUCKS....Speaking of which...
anyone changed the chuck on a 90º Hitachi mains drill....?
have tried everything I know and whats on U tuube....
I'm so fed up I'd pay to get it done now.....

anyone changed the chuck on a 90º Hitachi mains drill....?

Do you know model number? Try looking for 'Hitachi xxx parts diagram'. People like Miles Tool have lots of exploded diagrams that are often very helpful in understanding how to disassemble something.

I bought extra chuck for my Makita 484, the one that is going for 481, that is made from metal - Keyless chuck Makita 763248-2; 13 mm.

Very decent chuck.

The kind ebay seller sent me another DHP482 and didn't ask for the previous back - guess its not worth the bother in sorting a chuck for it.
However the new chuck has the same issue it doesn't tighten the same way as my previous ones, looking at this harder the new/latest 482's have a different and slightly smaller chuck so I suspect its a design feature that turning/tightening the chuck by hand its meant to make a wrong sort of noise and then after a week of so of turning actually locks the drill bit into place. With a battery and using the drill power to tighten the chuck it does get there as normal/expected.
Not what I'm used to so it looks as if one of my older drills with a lot of play in the spindle will donate its chuck to the new drill and all should be fine, I'll let you know when its done. I have 4 of these now

As pointed out above chucks are mostly bought in many of the metal ones are Jacobs.
One reason they say no/non/nein to chucks is that many get ruined by users.
some of the DIY standard of drills have two rings on chuck you have main bigger one then a thin ring below it to lock chuck

I actually got the Chuck replaced on my makita cordless drill a couple of years ago under warranty. Think it’s the same model as yours. They either were feeling generous at the time or they’ve changed the exceptions since then. That’s the only problem I’ve ever had with a makita tool so my experience of them has always been excellent. I could try and dig out my case number if you like so you could say to them look you replaced this one two years ago, so why not mine!

I actually got the Chuck replaced on my makita cordless drill a couple of years ago under warranty. Think it’s the same model as yours. They either were feeling generous at the time or they’ve changed the exceptions since then. That’s the only problem I’ve ever had with a makita tool so my experience of them has always been excellent. I could try and dig out my case number if you like so you could say to them look you replaced this one two years ago, so why not mine!
Thanks for the offer but don't bother, Ive spoken to a Makita engineer as well as the helpdesk and they're adamant no chuck changing so will take the chuck from my wobbly drill and all will be good. However its been an interesting exercise.
Looking at ebay the genuine chucks are quite expensive so if in future I need to buy another I will get a cheapo and see how it goes

Back