Muscle Chuck

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug B

Shy Tot
Reaction score
Does anyone have the Muscle Chuck Woodworkers workshop sell?
I have a couple of questions, does it screw onto the male threaded part of the existing chuck or is it tightened into the existing nut & collet, also how much does it extend the height of the chuck?
I’ve a DeWalt 625 so it looks like I need the type 2 chuck but I don’t know if I need to go for the standard or extended version.
TIA.

Yes I have one on my Triton fitted into a Jessem lift in my router table and also one in a Dewalt 625 fitted in my Woodrat, both replace the standard collet and nut arrangement. What are you fitting the 625 into ? My 625 version is standard and I did not even realise they do an extended version. I can measure the 625 in the morning.

It replaces the original nut and collet.
The rear of the device is tapered and fits into the taper in the spindle, there is a captive nut on the back that screws onto the male thread of the spindle and draws the two together tight and centred.
I bought the extended one for a MOF177 (DW625). It provides about 3/4" to 7/8" of extension over the standard setup. (from the dimensions of the part without setting the router up with both and measuring).
I had the impression the standard version is about 10mm shorter.
I wasn't happy with the machining of the one I received but the concept is better than other alternatives and we're hoping mine was just a Friday afternoon special....

Thanks for the answers & photos so far it’s very helpful.

What are you fitting the 625 into ?

I picked up a Woodpeckers Unilift earlier this year it appears to be unused & about 20 years old.

F9316D68-F81D-4634-8D61-0E84A29E6C08.jpeg

For the last couple of days I’ve been dismantling my old router table & building a new one for the unilift to fit in.
With the lift fully raised I have 28mm from the top of the router thread to the top surface of the plate.

139C2C30-2C4F-4142-B424-CA759AC71C51.jpeg

From a design point I’d prefer to use the lift as close to this position as possible which rules out the standard chuck extensions which appear to be around 80mm. The Muscle chuck appears to be the ideal solution but last night’s googling didn’t bring up any measurements though I admit it was rather a rushed search, hence the questions.
If the overall fitted length of the extended version is around 20mm then that would be ideal.

Clamping and release is done with a ball ended hex key. This lets you go in at an angle and reach the clamp bolt even though it will be a little below the level of the table. Just as shown in Derek's photo.
If you have the added thickness of a router lift to compensate for, I suspect the extended chuck will be the better choice.

My MC is used in a Elu 177e, which is the same as a DW 625. I purchased it several years ago. It must be "standard" as I was aware of any other version.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Derek ...
I see from your photos that you've got the Jessem Clear-Cut Stock Guides fitted to your router table fence - how do you rate them ?

I have a muscle chuck in a AUK router and Jessem router lift. It is much quicker and easier to use than the original collet and 2 spanners but there is slightly more vibration even though I have gone through the balancing process several times
Ian

I see from your photos that you've got the Jessem Clear-Cut Stock Guides fitted to your router table fence - how do you rate them ?
I find them very good because they hold a workpiece both down and against the fence which for long mouldings is very useful. I also still use featherboards for some jobs so these guides are to supplement rather than replace good old feather boards.

I find them very good because they hold a workpiece both down and against the fence which for long mouldings is very useful. I also still use featherboards for some jobs so these guides are to supplement rather than replace good old feather boards.

Excellent.
Regards from Perth
Derek

Roy & Derek - many thanks for the feedback - much appreciated !

Latest posts

Back