I've graduated!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

promhandicam

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just noticed that I am no longer a newbie but a fully fledged woodworker! So in celebration and to get into the festive spirit, if there is anyone who'd like to pop over this evening, the drinks are on me - I'll even meet you at the airport :lol:

Steve

Hi Steve

Feels good, doesn't it? And yet the transformation from newbie to woodworker is only the result of applying fingers to keyboard rather than fingers to tools and tools to wood. I sometimes think we ought to drop the different classifications which imply woodworking skills. Let the number of posts speak for themselves as evidence of participation in the forum.

Anyway, best wishes to you.

Regards.

Evergreen":1kqbwm2v said:
Let the number of posts speak for themselves as evidence of participation in the forum.
Oh gawd, no! You might as well have classifications like:

50 posts or under - has a busy social life

right up to

8978 posts - urgent requirement to occasionally leave the house, medical intervention may be advisable.

Cheers, Alf :wink:

I'll likely be in 'Woodworking Heaven' before I get 8978 :) :)

ooops sorry 8979 :wink:

P.S.
Well it might not be 'Woodeworking Heaven' it might be that other place :p

Losos":qfr1c6km said:
it might be that other place

Think of that, all eternity shaping MDF with a Surform or assembling Ikea furniture. I'm off to get baptised as soon as I can find a vicar who's willing to use Holy Shellac.

Well, that's me put in my place! I think I'll pop over to have a drink with Steve. There might be a place for worked MDF where he is.

Gill

Ach, forget it - I was probably being a bit precious :) .

I quite agree that MDF is a poor substitute for seasoned timber when it comes to most woodworking projects, especially furniture. But it does have its place and can be quite a valuable resource for a scroller with a decent dust mask and a can of spray paint!

Gill

Gill":1qr12eyt said:
. . I think I'll pop over to have a drink with Steve. There might be a place for worked MDF where he is. Gill

Gill - you'd be more than welcome! And yes there is a place for MDF - worked or otherwise. I brought a couple of 8 x 4 sheets in my shipping container - knowing that it would only be possible to get ply here - as one of my projects is to built a base for an aquarium and MDF is ideal for the top of the stand as the aquarium will weigh in at over 500kg when full . :shock:

As for worked MDF, IMHO, seeing what Gill and others manage to do with it, there is no denying that due to it's properties it can be used to make things that it would be virtually impossible to do with other materials.

Sorry in the end no one could make it . . . . however if anyone per chance ends up in this neck of the woods you'd be more than welcome to drop in for a nice cold Flag or Castel or one of the other local beers!

Cheers, :eek:ccasion5:

Steve

Gill,
I'm sure you don't have to worry about "that other place" :) with or without your MDF :wink:

Hey, I've graduated too!!!

As soon as my 50th post went up I became a 'woodworker'! The most impressive thing is, though, the way that my 'title' has automatically been upgraded on all my old posts.

Now that's clever!

Brad

How many do I need for 'furniture maker'?

Brad Naylor":23vzlcsq said:
How many do I need for 'furniture maker'?
I've been told that when you get to 2,500 you officially become a "Super Saddo". So not that long to go, then

Scrit

Latest posts

Back