Brass curtain track

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GweithdyDU

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I am an old fashioned chap and like old things. This has led me to wanting to find some brass curtain track for the curtains I'm making currently. I have thus far only found one snazzy company in the Dis-United Kingdom that can provide me with such a thing, and they know it is hard to find and charge accordingly, (over 200 quid for 9 yards of the stuff). It is essentially just brass I-beam and I'd be happy to use second-hand if anyone knows of a way to obtain such a thing. I've exhausted eBay, Amazon and the like and got bored of trawling through salvage websites after a few days of doing so. Anyone have any other ideas? Or even better, some old brass curtain track!

Thanks/Diolch

Huh!
A few years ago my favourite not-so-local pub shut down for a refurb, and turned from a great olde-worlde job into a modern, soul-less mess of a place. And what else did they do?
They trashed the brass foot rail that ran right around the bar.
That had been really, really comfortable!
On the odd time I've been in since, my foot still looks for it!

Try Hunter and Hyland Leatherhead.
https://www.hunterandhyland.co.uk/category/products/supplies/curtain-tracks-and-rails/i-beam/
They were / are the trade suppliers of that type of track.

Also known as ‘505’ track
Thanks for the above. I didn't know that it was also referred to as "505 track" so that may well be useful when searching online. Hunter ad Hyland were the ones that wanted 200 quid plus. A little out of my league but in fairness to them, I guess for average income bods, it isn't too bad really.

Thanks again

Last edited:
I wonder how much of old brass track has been throw away over the years in favour of plastic track and curtain rods.?

Far too much I would guess. One of the reasons I like it is because it outlasts plastic and aluminium. I also like the noise it makes when drawing the curtains and it just works so well. Furthermore, I am making very thick thermal curtains and know the brass will take them better than plastic. Some 2nd-hand lengths would be great as I can always straighten, solder together and WHY and then hide it all under a pelmet.

I'm not sure what it is you're after, but £200 for 9 yards of brass fitting sounds very reasonable to me.

A year or two back I wanted some solid brass bar, 38mm dia for some lathe work. The company my firm buys their metal from wanted £5 ....... per inch !

I'm not sure what it is you're after, but £200 for 9 yards of brass fitting sounds very reasonable to me.

A year or two back I wanted some solid brass bar, 38mm dia for some lathe work. The company my firm buys their metal from wanted £5 ....... per inch !
I suspect that you haven't really thought that argument through!

9 yards of Brass 'I' beam track equates to something like a 3" length of 38mm Ø Brass Bar.
The last time I bought Brass Bar was in Sept 2020 and using that cost to estimate the price of 1" of 38mm Ø (!!! I'll follow your lead in mixing dimensions !!!) it works out at £6.11 per inch.

It seems to me that £200 is something like 10 times its real value.

Back