It started with a thread!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoinerySolutions

Established Member
Reaction score
This one to be precise:- https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/combination-square-woes-t29104.html

Well my combi square is as old as I have been playing with bits of wood for a living. I bought it as a first year apprentice, a Rabone Chesterman with a heavy cast body housing a level bubble (never used it) a scribing point ( lost before I found a need for it) and of course the dual metric and imperial scale to 12".
I have always trusted it to be true at 90° or 45° in use as long as the retaining nut was up finger tight. It has been invaluable when laying out a job or drawing up rods, in fact 'it' should be a 'she' as one tends to trust the female form more. (Mum's, the car, the yacht etc).

Well I went in to work today and second guessed myself, is this really square?
I went to the chop saw and trimmed the end off a bit of Ash skirting board, put my square up to it............
Daylight breaking through in a cheese wedge shape, well okay a sliver but a cheese wedge shaped sliver!
Next; I checked the combi against my Stanley roofing square, it is after all of the same vintage and found they matched. Things are getting worse I thought, but,but, where is my engineers square that is only a pup at ten years old?
Well that sliver returned when the combi and engineers were mated right up until I scraped off a bit of glue residue on the engineers square. :shock:
Surely all my squares are out? :-k
Time to check the trusty Elu chopsaw, though dubious as only yesterday I was cutting architraves with no problems. [-o<

Guess what?

The darn thing was out! #-o

Lesson learned:- It is easier to re-adjust a chopsaw than it is to adjust any of the above mentioned squares, and needs checking more often than I currently do, bearing in mind it gets bumped around in the back of the van a lot!
Rob, sighing with relief that the three main squares in life are all well and good.......unless they are all in cahoots! :lol:

It's quiet easy to check a square against itself using a straight edged piece of wood.
Mark a line - turn the square over and check the line.
Much easier to do then explain?

Rod

I know! Just gotten so used to my power tools being spot on I thought that would be the most expedient way to check... then went off on a tangent. Bit of a muppet really as I've been working in this trade for 27 years! Don't suppose I can blame it on the effects of a bottle of Leffe dark last night eh? :lol:

JoinerySolutions":e0juxje4 said:
I know! Just gotten so used to my power tools being spot on I thought that would be the most expedient way to check...

You obviously haven't read the threads about the fun and games people have tuning and fettling up their power tools!

Trust nothing!

BugBear

Latest posts

Back