Is there anyone who can re machine/make planer knives

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi there. No drawing but I have the original blades and have measured them 210 x 16 x 3mm. Will try them to see if they can help

Scott & Sargeant have planer knives in all sorts of lengths and widths.

Jim

Would it be possible to remachine the cutterhead to take standard knives of some sort?

There is usually a way around the "way of the modern world".

You laugh too quickly Kev. ☝ The company I linked in post 6, Sheartak, sell 8" heads for a number of jointers etc for $500Cad/300 pounds and they will make new heads to order. They have already made the head for the Elu EPT 1161 which looks a little longer than the 210mm head that Alasdair needs so may only need a slight adjustment to their machining programs. I understand how spending that much might seem like a lot but if equivalent new machined costs a bunch more or there isn't one then re-heading the one he has can make sense. The hassle he is going through trying to find HSS blades is eliminated too. I've considered it for my Hitachi F1000A that I bought new in the early 80s and it has 6" and 12" heads in it. Make a great machine even better. 😊

Pete

Thanks for all the help. Looks like I either get them sent from Germany for aprox £150-00 as getting them made would be so far too expensive or give up on a spare set and see if I can get the worn nicked set sharpened.. As for a replacement cutter head I agree would be a good idea but other spares for the machine are not available. I don't want to spend a fortune and then not be able to fix the machine if anything else fails. I will keep looking and am still waiting for a couple of emails.
Thanks Alasdair

Had a local company who used to be excellent saw service etc. Just found out they are now part of a large local industrial suppliers so will pop in and see if they can sharpen them. The guy who ran the company was brilliant at regrinding and sharpening steel plate circular saw blades etc. Basicly anything that cuts he could sharpen properly. Thought he had retired or gone out of business.
Alasdair

Only problem if you resharpen the old blades you have is what do you do when they become blunt or nicked again,you will be back in the same position only worse because you cannot get any more use out of the old blades :(. You may be better off buying another new/used machine that has spares etc available and selling your old machine .

You laugh too quickly Kev. ☝ The company I linked in post 6, Sheartak, sell 8" heads for a number of jointers etc for $500Cad/300 pounds and they will make new heads to order. They have already made the head for the Elu EPT 1161 which looks a little longer than the 210mm head that Alasdair needs so may only need a slight adjustment to their machining programs. I understand how spending that much might seem like a lot but if equivalent new machined costs a bunch more or there isn't one then re-heading the one he has can make sense. The hassle he is going through trying to find HSS blades is eliminated too. I've considered it for my Hitachi F1000A that I bought new in the early 80s and it has 6" and 12" heads in it. Make a great machine even better. 😊

Pete

That seems cheap to me! Wonder if they do one for my multico? 🙃

Been thinking along the same lines. Best option I think is to tidy up machine and use for older wood. and look for a decenrt used machine thats more modern or older but parts etc are available, for new or clean wood. Had a look at Sheartak and The EPT1161 head is aprox £350-00 on their website. First I tjhought it was £450 but then realised their Canadian. Will need to dismantle the planer and see how the cutter head is attached and also exact size etc. At that price as long as nothi g else fails might be worth converting. Still got to work out carriage and import etc but at least it gives me a figure to work with. The new head is not much more than two sets of original blades and as pete says cutters are easily available and four sided.
Alasdair

It looks like it comes with a set of cutters as well as spares. Thats getting to be a good price. Just depends on the carriage and tax.
Alasdair

Digging up this old thread because I found blades that are either the same or very close. They are called CentroLock Planer blades. They show the width as 16mm and the thickness as 3mm. They don't give the groove dimensions but is sure looks close when scaled up.

https://www.scosarg.com/tooling/pla...planer-blades?product_list_order=manufacturer
https://www.applebywoodturnings.co.uk/planer-blades/weinig-centrolock.html
I'll cross post this information in the other thread. Old ELU DAH176 planer knives

Hopefully they are the answer.
Pete

Back